Re: Evolution of High Christology

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2004
      John Noble wrote:
      "It seems like a bad idea to base theological
      conclusions on gospel dating. "

      And not just gospel dating, either. Theories about the dating and authorship
      of the Pauline corpus have been used to bolster theories about the
      development of Church order and ministry. I tend to the view that their were
      all kinds of different views flying about in the NT church, and that which
      views one held may be more determined by where one came from or in which
      culture one was brought up. I am therefore quite prepared to believe a high
      Christology existed early - certainly in Paul's letters - though one has to
      accept (I think) that maybe all were not of one opinion at the time. After
      all, at which time *has* the church ever been "all of one mind" in any but
      an idealistic sense,

      Best Wishes
      JOHN E STATON
      Penistone, Sheffield UK