[John_Lit] Greeks in John 12

  • ejdanna@trapdoor.arvotek.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2000
      I'm wondering if someone on this list can help me track something down.
      At the end of my paper on the Greeks at SBL, a gentleman asked me why I
      thought that the Greeks were either God-fearers or prosyleytes. Why
      couldn't they be Greek-speaking Jews from the Diaspora? I later explained
      that these Greeks are referred to as "hellhnes," but the New Testament
      word for Greek-speaking Diaspora Jews is always "hellhnistai." As we were
      talking a lady (Adele Reinhartz?) approached and said that another scholar
      had argued that the Greeks of John 12 were Diaspora Jews, as part of an
      argument that the term "Ioudaioi" in John means not "Jews" but "Judeans."
      I think she said that she was referring to recent work by R.A. Culpepper,
      but I forgot to make a note of the information and now it would be useful.
      Can anyone help?
      Elizabeth Danna