Christology - high and low : Jn 17:3

  • frideslameris
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004
      Hi all,

      Concerning: the term HIGH and LOW christology:

      In R. Brown, An introduction to NT Christology,
      the high seems to be reserved for those 'titles', which
      are explicit of Jesus' (supposed) divinity.

      Jesus being a prophet, rabbi, even messiah, Brown would
      put under LOW christology.

      Now, here is a crucial one, inviting for more discussion.

      John 17:3:

      "This is eternal life that they know you the one true God, and him,
      you sent, Jesus CHRIST (= Jesus Messiah!)".

      Now, noticing that in Jn 17: 1 JESUS is speaking ('eipen'), it seems we
      have here the most straight passage where Jesus is confirming his
      (own) messiahship.

      Now, Brown has no difficulty to solve the problem (204):

      "Surely Jesus never spoke of himself in the third person as
      "Jesus Christ"

      I am NOT so sure of that.

      Anyhow, in this passage I would say, CHRISTOS would here
      certainly be indicative of HIGH CHRISTOLOGY (independently
      of the fact this is a word put in the mouth of Jesus by John or
      historically spoken by Jesus), because, when Jesus would
      affirm his own messiah status, he would surely do that
      from the highest spiritual awareness, and not from lower political
      or (other) wordly considerations.

      Its also interesting to note the origin of the very word christology!
      It all hangs around the 'messiah secret' of Jesus (himself).

      So, the whole issue seems to come down eventually to what
      supposedly would have been Jesus' own 'Christology'!

      I think the Johannine 'titles' are not put by John into Jesus' mouth,
      but he really spoke like that. This should no longer be seen as an
      uncritical view, because the opposite thing has not been proved at all.
      It has been uncritically assumed by many, but that is a different thing!

      I remind you of an earllier statement of mine that (some) great mystics,
      saints,
      spiritual teachers, have (had) no problem to speak about their
      divine status during their lives.

      So, high or low christology, I think it was (almost) all there DURING
      Jesus' life time.

      Greetings to all

      Frides Laméris
      (Zuidlaren, Home)
      Netherlands
    • Mike Grondin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004
        --- "frideslameris" wrote:

        > I remind you of an earllier statement of mine that (some) great
        > mystics, saints, spiritual teachers, have (had) no problem to
        > speak about their divine status during their lives.

        Hi Frides,

        Could you give some examples of what some of these others have said
        that you find similar to what's in GJn?

        Mike Grondin