Re: [John_Lit] Re: Oral Tradition

  • Bill Bullin
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 6, 2004
      Bill Bullin wrote:

      > > If Mark 4: 13-20 could be shown to be a likely pericope from Johannine
      > > circles,
      > > it would demonstrate that the(se) Johannine circles(s) knew at least
      > > one of the
      > > parables of Jesus
      > > but the Evangelist / B. D. chose not to incorporate it for some reason.
      Peter replied:
      > In my view you have to differenciate between the parable and its
      > interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the traditions
      > available to Mark. The interpretation is another thing and was given by
      > Mark himself and layed into the mouth of Jesus. One of the purposes or
      > probably the main purpose of the interpretation was to explicitely
      > de-christologize the term and concept of the Logos like the
      > "Hellenistenbuch" already did before. The sawyer is Jesus and the Logos
      > is the seed he spreads or his spoken word. Matthew and Luke appearantly
      > were no longer aware of this primary intention and changed the absolute
      > "Logos" simply to the "logos qeou". After all, I do not hink that the
      > pericope of the sawyer has something to do with johannine circles, but
      > only with Mark rejceting all Logos-speculations along with he "Gospel
      > of John" he had before his eyes. Both, "John" and after him Mark, by
      > this same procedure exalted Jesus from the Logos (Philo and Prologue)
      > to God himself. This is the line not only of "John" and Mark, but also
      > of the following Gospel writers Matthw and Luke. According to all
      > Gospels in Jesus has appeared God (= Yaweh) himself, and what he speaks
      > is the Logos or the word of God.

      Bill Bullin replies concerning Mark 4:10-20 and parallels:

      First we can argue either that:

      (1) Mark follows Matthew and Luke (Griesbach);
      John is latest.

      (2) Matthew and Luke follow Mark and possibly other sources (Streeter).
      John is latest.

      (3) Luke follows Matthew and Matthew follows Mark (Farrar / Goulder);
      John is latest.

      (4) An elaborate theory of synoptic development and inter-reaction.
      John is last (and *first), (Boismard, *Robinsion).

      (5) Johannine material was in circulation before Mark (as it is now known),
      was competed.
      This may have taken the form of both a Hellenistenbuch and or other free
      floating oral material
      or indeed a 'sealed' piece of oral material.

      We can view this material in a number of ways:

      (A) We can read it as a straightforward continuation of Jesus' teaching to
      the disciples, when the crowds were no longer present.

      (B) We can see it as one piece of Marcan redactional material.

      (C) We can see it as two separate pieces of material: 11-12 & 13-20, in
      which case they could be:

      (a) Teaching of Jesus to his disciples (11-12) and then Marcan redactional
      material (13-20).

      (b) Marcan redactional material (11-12) and then a further preserved
      pericope of Jesus' teaching (13-20).

      (c) One piece of Marcan redactional material (11-12) followed by a second
      piece of Marcan redactional material (13-20).

      (d) One piece of Marcan redactional material (11-12) followed by
      an insertion of further redactional material (13-20) from elsewhere.

      (e) Two pieces of redactional material from elsewhere.

      (f) One piece of continuous redactional material inserted from elsewhere.

      I (BB), am arguing for (5) (C) (d, with perhaps as underlying wisdom
      logion).
      I understand you, (PH) to be arguing for (5) (B) or (C) (c).
      I understand Leonard, (LM) to be arguing for (1) (B) (f).

      I understand Frank (F MC) to be introducing a broader christological
      suggestion,
      offering an intermediate concept somewhere between logos and LOGOS; a kind
      of 'anggelogos' rather than an 'ANGGELOGOS'.

      I wonder what those who support an early John and follow (2) or (4) make of
      Mark 4?
    • Joseph Codsi
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 7, 2004
        Peter Hofrichter wrote on February 5, 2004 in relation to Mark's parable of
        the sower:

        > In my view you have to differentiate between the parable and its
        > interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the traditions
        > available to Mark. The interpretation is another thing and was given by
        > Mark himself and layed into the mouth of Jesus.

        I find this reconstruction of the facts too hasty. In order to reach such a
        conclusion, I would expect the existence of two distinct versions of the
        parable. The first one would narrate the parable without its explanation,
        and the second one would be Mark's present version. In the absence of such a
        literary evidence, Peter's conclusion requires some explanation.
        If Mark has invented the explanation of the parable, then one is to conclude
        that Jesus had told the parable without its explanation. I find this
        difficult to maintain.
        To begin with, the gospel of "Mark" openly contradicts this explanation. The
        parabolic discourse concludes with the following remark:
        "With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to
        hear it; he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained
        everything in private to his disciples." (Mark 4:33-34)
        I will comment on this passage in two points.
        First point: The parables are not meant to obscure the message. On the
        contrary, their purpose is to convey the message of Jesus concerning the
        spiritual reality called the Kingdom of God. The parabolic discourse was a
        way of adapting the language to the audience, so that the people would
        understand. This is what is implied in verse 33.
        Second point: Jesus reserved the explanation of the parable to his
        disciples, as it is stated in verse 34 and as it is specifically said of the
        parable of the sower in verses 10-12.
        In both cases it is implied that the explanation goes back to Jesus himself.
        The fact of separating the parable from its explanation does not prove, in
        and of itself, that Mark is responsible of this separation. We must examine
        Mark's text more carefully.

        Mark's version does not only separate the parable from its explanation. It
        moreover conveys the notion that Jesus reserved the explanation to his
        disciples. It goes even to the point of changing the meaning of the word
        "parable" from a concrete illustration of the spiritual reality to an
        "incomprehensible charade" (cf. Mark 4:10-12). There is here a clear
        contradiction that renders the understanding of Mark very difficult. I will
        not go now into this difficult problem.
        There are two ways of reading what pertains to the parables in Mark. The
        first one is a literal reading. In this case, Jesus himself would have
        reserved the explanation of the parable to his disciples. The second reading
        stems from the fact that Jesus could not have done so and could not have
        given the explanation found in verses 11-12. In this second case, the
        problem consists in determining who is responsible of verses 11-12, the
        disciples themselves or "Mark" or someone in between.
        I think this question must be resolved before we could speak of any relation
        between "Mark" and "John". This is particularly true if it can be proven
        that Mark did not invent anything here, but transmitted faithfully and to
        the letter what he had received, in spite of the fact that what he had
        received did not make sense, especially in relation to verses 11-12.
        So long,
        Joseph.

        Joseph Codsi
        P.O.Box 116-2088
        Beirut, Lebanon
        Telephone (961) 1 242-545
        joseph5@...
      • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 8, 2004
          In a message dated 2/8/2004 1:16:51 PM Central Standard Time,
          joseph5@... writes:

          Peter Hofrichter wrote on February 5, 2004 in relation to Mark's parable of
          the sower:

          > In my view you have to differentiate between the parable and its
          > interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the traditions
          > available to Mark. The interpretation is another thing and was given by
          > Mark himself and layed into the mouth of Jesus.

          I find this reconstruction of the facts too hasty. In order to reach such a
          conclusion, I would expect the existence of two distinct versions of the
          parable. The first one would narrate the parable without its explanation,
          and the second one would be Mark's present version. In the absence of such a
          literary evidence, Peter's conclusion requires some explanation.
          If Mark has invented the explanation of the parable, then one is to conclude
          that Jesus had told the parable without its explanation. I find this
          difficult to maintain
          I wonder why you find this dificult, Joseph? Traditional wisdom forms like
          the parable and the proverb are typically delivered without explication. It
          is only once the thing leaves its milieu, often when it is committed to
          written form, that you start finding explications attached to them.
          Ed Tyler

        • Peter.Hofrichter
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 9, 2004
            Am 06.02.2004 um 15:29 schrieb Bill Bullin:

            I always wonder how abstract especially NT-scholats are used to think
            and argue, far away from real life. Our evangelists were not
            sophisticated puzzle producers or people with too much leisur time or
            well payed professors motivated by the principle publish or perish.
            Writing and publishing a new book was a big and expensive task. If they
            did so they must have experienced an urgent need and necessity,
            especially if similar books already existed. They must have had a
            strong motivation to improve or to change or to replace something they
            were absolutely not content with or did absolutely not agree with to be
            used in the church. We can be sure that in the young Jesus movement
            everybody of the leading people knew everybody, but that there were
            quite different opinions, strives and enimities like it is usual
            especially in young movements (and even in old ones - think of your
            parish, convent or whatsoever). Forget the romantic idea of isolated
            communities with their isolated oral traditions and emerging new tales
            ("Gemeindebildungen") kept hidden from everybody else for decades.
            Where should that have been? Somewhere in the desert or on mount Hermon
            or where? The Jesus people were mainly inhabitants of the big cities
            with quick communication: Jerusalem, Damascus, Antioch, Caesarea,
            Ephesus. All Gospels were produced by highly educated people, most
            probably in Antioch. No author will have written without having before
            his eyes all similar scriptures already existing. Think of what Luke
            says in his Prologue, who might have been the last one to write. All
            these famous theories mentioned below (Griesbach, Streeter, Boismatd,
            etc.) lack of one important thing: the vital necessity and motivation
            for each Gospel writer to do what he did.

            The synoptic question as such belongs to another dicussion group. But
            why should Mark make an abstract of Matthew and Luke? What is his vital
            purpose and what is the decisive improvement? People normally want to
            read more, not less! Abtracts were highly appreciated in antiquity
            (e.g. Xyphilinus), but only of really lengthy works of about 100
            volumes, which to buy or to read nobody had enough money and time. But
            not in the case of one small booklet. What is much more likely and
            usual is an enlarged edition with an special emphasis, like Matthew
            made of Mark, also he a propagator of Peter stressing his claims by
            additional arguments (as to the Jewish law or Mt 16,18). Additional
            material was a condition of success and will have granted readers.
            There are plenty of other examples of enlarged editions in secular
            ancient literature, especially in historiography. About the priority of
            a written early edition of "John" (Hellenistenbuch) as the partial
            source and pattern of Mark and to a certain extent also once more of
            his followers Mt and Lk I wrote already enough in this discussion
            group. Luke as disciple and propagator of Paul could not be happy with
            all three predecessors – none of them could be useed in the Pauline
            Church – and wrote the last – and concerning the literary quality –
            also the best Gospel. And there is some evidence that he used besides
            "John", Mark, and Matthew also Matthew’s additional written source Q.
            Then Luke had at least four earlier writings before his eyes, and his
            statement that "many before him" have already written seems somehow
            sincere and serious. Two or three would scarcely justify to speak of
            "many". By the time several strong reactions on Mark and again on
            Matthew were inserted into "John": Most Hellenists did not accept the
            leadership of Peter and his party fovoured there, but others
            appearently did. Additional texts of both factions were added to the
            text existing, probably at first in different editions, but finally
            united into only one and the same (e.g. the two different endings:
            Thomas-story and chapter 21, and chapter 21once more augmented).

            A last question: What is your "redactional material"? What kind of
            substance is that? Something copied, something written from own memory
            or from having heared from others or something concieved and produced
            by oneself? Such abstract learned terms – as there are:
            Gemeindebildung, Traditionsmaterial, redaktionelle Bildung, your
            floating oral material etc. – conceal the helplessness and ingnorance
            behind them and not only serve for nothing but poisen and block every
            honest language in research. Say exactly what you mean and imagine it
            in real live.

            All the best for the future
            Peter Hofrichter

          • fmmccoy
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 9, 2004
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 10, 2004
                Dear Frank,
                I thank you very for this really learned dissertation. I want to add
                only some remarks. The task of the Church has always been and is also
                today harmonizing breaks, bridging gaps, saving peace among the sheep
                and painting pictures of heavenly unanimity. Therefore The Gopel of
                John has been at least for 1800 to 1900 years read in a harmonizing
                way. And this was necessary as soon as it was ascribed as a whole to
                one and the same holy author (what may have happended already against
                the end of the first century). The last open conflicts are visible with
                Tertullian’s Adversus Praxeam and Hippolyt’s Philosophoumena, where he
                argues against Pope Callistus and especially against Noetus to believe
                in a "sonfather", may be, also with the obscure Alogoi. But the task of
                critcal historical research is contrary to that of the pastoral efforts
                of the Church to uncover especially the gaps and the hidden
                contradictions, the conflicts behind the facade and what really had
                happend, (Neverftheless I understand myself as a a believer and an
                ecclesial thologiian.)

                The danger of the first century was of course not Arianism but
                Gnosticism with its growing cascades of emanations, the starting point
                of which had been the Logos christology and the other terms of the
                Logos-hymn (arche, life, light, man, monogenes etc.). At the other hand
                the solution of the fourth century as to the Logos was finally reached
                on the background of the gnostic idea of the divine pleroma, within
                which all divine entities were thought as homoousioi. Within this
                concept also the unknown God himself and the Logos-Mediator can be
                concieved as homoousioi. But concerning the origin and purpose of our
                hellenistic Gospel "of John" we should think still quite simply. There
                is an obvious gap between the Logos-hymn and the following text. And my
                conviction is that the purpose of this book was to give a narrative
                antignostic commentary to this confession-like hymn quoted at the
                biginning and already firmly established in the hellenistic church
                (grown out of the synagogue of the Alexandrinians etc. in Jerusalem).

                You mention the Thomas confession to be also interpretable in harmony
                with the Logos christology. Of course, everything is possible but not
                verisimilar: Thomas says. "Ho kyrios mou kai ho theos mou!" If you
                compare this with Joh 1,1, you realize that "ho theos" with article is
                there exactly not the Logos but God himself. In addition we have in
                the Gospel also the "I am" sayings (Ego eimi) at the capture of Jesus,
                which remind us of the Name of Yahwe in Gen 3,13: "I am who I am". The
                Thomas Confession is certainly the summary and the peak of the
                christological teaching of this Gospel. In some respect it is the
                conterpart to the confession of Peter in Mark (and in my view a later
                added reaction to it).

                Once more, the prupose of the Gospel was to give the hymnic confession
                of faith of the Helleniists quoted at is beginning a new meaning: Its
                text should not be underrstood as speking of prexistence and world
                creation etc. but from it first line of the historical Jesus and his
                revelation. God ("Ho theos") should be understood as Jesus himself and
                the Logos as the spoken word of his revelation. This was the intention
                of this book. And during the first and fist half of the second century
                this strategy seems to have beeen successful and has been adopted also
                by the other NT writers.

                With complemtes
                Peter Hofrichter

                PS: Because of a journey I shall not be able to continue the dicussion.
                Thanks to everybody and good buy!

                Am 09.02.2004 um 18:49 schrieb fmmccoy:

> [...]
              • Peter.Hofrichter
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 10, 2004
                  Am 10.02.2004 um 09:30 schrieb Peter.Hofrichter:

                  > PS: Because of a journey I shall not be able to continue the dicussion.
                  > Thanks to everybody and good buy!

                  I wanted to write: Good bye! Sorry, but If it was a Freudian mistake,
                  may be, my Unterbewusstsein wanted to recommad you to buy one of my
                  books. So long!
                  P.H.