Re: [John_Lit] Re: Oral Tradition

  • fmmccoy
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
      From: "Peter.Hofrichter" <Peter.Hofrichter@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 11:40 AM
      Subject: Re: [John_Lit] Re: Oral Tradition

      > In my view you have to differenciate between the parable and its
      > interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the traditions
      > available to Mark. The interpretation is another thing and was given by
      > Mark himself and layed into the mouth of Jesus. One of the purposes or
      > probably the main purpose of the interpretation was to explicitely
      > de-christologize the term and concept of the Logos like the
      > "Hellenistenbuch" already did before. The sawyer is Jesus and the Logos
      > is the seed he spreads or his spoken word. Matthew and Luke appearantly
      > were no longer aware of this primary intention and changed the absolute
      > "Logos" simply to the "logos qeou". After all, I do not hink that the
      > pericope of the sawyer has something to do with johannine circles, but
      > only with Mark rejceting all Logos-speculations along with he "Gospel
      > of John" he had before his eyes. Both, "John" and after him Mark, by
      > this same procedure exalted Jesus from the Logos (Philo and Prologue)
      > to God himself. This is the line not only of "John" and Mark, but also
      > of the following Gospel writers Matthw and Luke. According to all
      > Gospels in Jesus has appeared God (= Yaweh) himself, and what he speaks
      > is the Logos or the word of God.

      Perhaps, though, the thought in Mark is that Jesus is the Logos of God as a
      personified divine being and that his message is the Logos of God as speech.
      That is to say, I question an either/or alternative as respects the nature
      of the Logos of God in Mark.

      Let us look at these pairs in Mark 8:36-38:
      8:36b my sake and the gospel
      838a me and my words (logoi)
      8:38b The Son of Man and the angels--the holy.

      I suggest that the right column are equivalents, so that the gospel = the
      words (logoi) spoken by Jesus = the angels. The last part of the equation
      is the key one--for Philo believed that the words (logoi) of God are
      personified as angels. So, I suggest, the right hand column consists of the
      Logos of God as broken down into individual spoken words (logoi) of God. In
      this case, the gospel spoken by Jesus is the Logos of God as broken down
      into the individual spoken logoi (words) of God that are personified in the
      angels.

      I suggest that the left column are also equivalents, so that me = me = the
      Son of Man. Since this Son of Man is said to have God as his Father in
      8:38, he is a Son of God. This is significant--for Philo believed that the
      Logos of God as personified in a divine being is a Son of God.

      So, I suggest , in Mark 8:36-38, we have three pairs in which the left pair
      is the Logos of God as personified in a divine being, and in which the right
      pair is the Logos of God as broken down into the individual spoken words
      (logoi) of God that are personified in the angels. If so, then Mark's Jesus
      is the Logos of God as personfied in a divine being and what he speaks,
      i.e., the gospel, is the Logos of God as the individual spoken words (logoi)
      of God that are personified in the angels.

      In this case, there is no exaltation of Jesus from the Logos to God Himself
      in Mark.

      Perhaps it's questionable whether this is the case in John either. Why
      would the Johannine community keep the Prologue in John, where Jesus is the
      Logos of God as a personified divine being, if they later exalted him from
      the Logos to God Himself?

      Frank McCoy
      1809 N. English Apt. 15
      Maplewood, MN 55109
    • Peter.Hofrichter
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 6, 2004
        Am 05.02.2004 um 21:37 schrieb Maluflen@...:

        > In a message dated 2/5/2004 12:40:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > Peter.Hofrichter@... writes:
        >
        >>> In my view you have to differenciate between the parable and its
        >>> interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the
        >>> traditions available to Mark.>>
        >
        > Yes, particularly in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke.
        >
        > <<The interpretation is another thing and was given by Mark himself
        > and layed into the mouth of Jesus. One of the purposes or probably the
        > main purpose of the interpretation was to explicitely de-christologize
        > the term and concept of the Logos like the "Hellenistenbuch" already
        > did before. The sower is Jesus and the Logos is the seed he spreads or
        > his spoken word. Matthew and Luke appearantly were no longer aware of
        > this primary intention and changed the absolute "Logos" simply to the
        > "logos qeou". >>

        > This theory seems counter-intuitive to me. Besides, your data are not
        > accurate. Matthew never uses the expression "logos qeou" in this
        > context. The Synoptic data in fact make more sense if John is left out
        > of the equation.
        > With respect to the parable of the sower, the process begins with
        > Matthew, who is first to supply the interpretation of the parable and
        > explains "the seed", in line with his own Gospel message and that
        > proclaimed by Jesus (cf. 4:17, 23; 24:14), as the "message of the
        > kingdom" (ho logos ths basileas, 13:19).

        Dear Colleague Leonard Maluf
        I know already your two Gospels Theorie. Unfortunately I cannot share
        it. Mark is the first among the synoptics. The development of the
        "Logos" goes differently from what should be expected according to an
        evolution concept. But concerning the christology this means a
        augmentation or lifting up.

        The first step is: The Logos is Jesus, the second step is: the Logos is
        not Jesus, but his word, the word of God, the logos sperrmatikos. God
        himself is Jesus.
        Originally, according the Logos-Hymn and with Philo in the background
        the Logos is Jesus, But according to the interpretation of the
        Hellenistenbuch or "John" and also by the interpretation of Mark the
        Logos is the "Logos spermatikos", the word of God.

        > Next comes Luke, who alters the vocabulary under the influence of
        > terminology found in the Pauline letters, where the Gospel message is
        > described as "the word of God" (1 Thess 2:13). This expression may be
        > abbreviated to ton logon (in the acc.), as it is in Lk 8:13,15 etc.,
        > just as it is frequently in Acts, where the same Pauline (or perhaps
        > early church / technical) terminology is used. Finally Mark comes
        > along, and his usage reflects the latest stage of the development in
        > the Synoptics, where ton logon (acc.) in the absolute is now known,
        > without further qualification, to refer to the Gospel message preached
        > and can therefore be used from the start in his (copied) explanation
        > of the parable (4:13). Mark's usage then corresponds to the later
        > Matthean (and Lukan) usage (Matt 13:20,21,22,23) where in Matthew the
        > definite article is anaphoric, pointing to the fuller expression in
        > 13:19, and so is not yet the absolute usage found in Mark. This
        > explanation accounts for the data in a way that is straightforward and
        > simple; we are still a long way from the further Christological
        > development in which Christ himself is identified as the logos tou
        > qeou.
        >
        > Leonard Maluf
        > Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
        > Weston, MA

        Peter Hofrichter
      • Bill Bullin
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 6, 2004
          Bill Bullin wrote:

          > > If Mark 4: 13-20 could be shown to be a likely pericope from Johannine
          > > circles,
          > > it would demonstrate that the(se) Johannine circles(s) knew at least
          > > one of the
          > > parables of Jesus
          > > but the Evangelist / B. D. chose not to incorporate it for some reason.
          Peter replied:
          > In my view you have to differenciate between the parable and its
          > interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the traditions
          > available to Mark. The interpretation is another thing and was given by
          > Mark himself and layed into the mouth of Jesus. One of the purposes or
          > probably the main purpose of the interpretation was to explicitely
          > de-christologize the term and concept of the Logos like the
          > "Hellenistenbuch" already did before. The sawyer is Jesus and the Logos
          > is the seed he spreads or his spoken word. Matthew and Luke appearantly
          > were no longer aware of this primary intention and changed the absolute
          > "Logos" simply to the "logos qeou". After all, I do not hink that the
          > pericope of the sawyer has something to do with johannine circles, but
          > only with Mark rejceting all Logos-speculations along with he "Gospel
          > of John" he had before his eyes. Both, "John" and after him Mark, by
          > this same procedure exalted Jesus from the Logos (Philo and Prologue)
          > to God himself. This is the line not only of "John" and Mark, but also
          > of the following Gospel writers Matthw and Luke. According to all
          > Gospels in Jesus has appeared God (= Yaweh) himself, and what he speaks
          > is the Logos or the word of God.

          Bill Bullin replies concerning Mark 4:10-20 and parallels:

          First we can argue either that:

          (1) Mark follows Matthew and Luke (Griesbach);
          John is latest.

          (2) Matthew and Luke follow Mark and possibly other sources (Streeter).
          John is latest.

          (3) Luke follows Matthew and Matthew follows Mark (Farrar / Goulder);
          John is latest.

          (4) An elaborate theory of synoptic development and inter-reaction.
          John is last (and *first), (Boismard, *Robinsion).

          (5) Johannine material was in circulation before Mark (as it is now known),
          was competed.
          This may have taken the form of both a Hellenistenbuch and or other free
          floating oral material
          or indeed a 'sealed' piece of oral material.

          We can view this material in a number of ways:

          (A) We can read it as a straightforward continuation of Jesus' teaching to
          the disciples, when the crowds were no longer present.

          (B) We can see it as one piece of Marcan redactional material.

          (C) We can see it as two separate pieces of material: 11-12 & 13-20, in
          which case they could be:

          (a) Teaching of Jesus to his disciples (11-12) and then Marcan redactional
          material (13-20).

          (b) Marcan redactional material (11-12) and then a further preserved
          pericope of Jesus' teaching (13-20).

          (c) One piece of Marcan redactional material (11-12) followed by a second
          piece of Marcan redactional material (13-20).

          (d) One piece of Marcan redactional material (11-12) followed by
          an insertion of further redactional material (13-20) from elsewhere.

          (e) Two pieces of redactional material from elsewhere.

          (f) One piece of continuous redactional material inserted from elsewhere.

          I (BB), am arguing for (5) (C) (d, with perhaps as underlying wisdom
          logion).
          I understand you, (PH) to be arguing for (5) (B) or (C) (c).
          I understand Leonard, (LM) to be arguing for (1) (B) (f).

          I understand Frank (F MC) to be introducing a broader christological
          suggestion,
          offering an intermediate concept somewhere between logos and LOGOS; a kind
          of 'anggelogos' rather than an 'ANGGELOGOS'.

          I wonder what those who support an early John and follow (2) or (4) make of
          Mark 4?
        • Maluflen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 6, 2004
            In a message dated 2/6/2004 9:15:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, Peter.Hofrichter@... writes:

            > Dear Colleague Leonard Maluf
            > I know already your two Gospels Theorie. Unfortunately I cannot share it. Mark is the first among the synoptics.>

            Because you say so? My response is: "prove it". And please do not bother to repeat the standard arguments found in New Testament introductions. All five of them have been frequently and decisively exposed as fallacious, or at the very least inconclusive. On the other hand, if you have some new argument in its support (other than that from authority) I, for one, would be most interested in hearing it. What impresses me is that the theory of Markan priority leaves unexplained more detailed phenomena in the Synoptic Gospels than it explains. Try, if you like, to persuade me otherwise, but perhaps you should do so on another list, such as Synoptic-L. Thus far you have only confirmed my view that old Europe is more reliable on the question of preemptive warfare than it is on the question of the order of the Synoptic Gospels.

            << The development of the "Logos" goes differently from what should be expected according to an evolution concept. But concerning the christology this means a augmentation or lifting up....>

            Sorry. The theory doesn't become any less counter-intuitive with repetition. I need to know something of the reason why you think Mark's (bzw. Matthew's) use of logos to refer to the teaching of Jesus was a fighting doctrine, attempting to undermine an already established identification of Jesus himself with the logos. I just see no evidence of this whatsoever.

            Leonard Maluf
            Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
            Weston, MA
          • Joseph Codsi
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 7, 2004
              Peter Hofrichter wrote on February 5, 2004 in relation to Mark's parable of
              the sower:

              > In my view you have to differentiate between the parable and its
              > interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the traditions
              > available to Mark. The interpretation is another thing and was given by
              > Mark himself and layed into the mouth of Jesus.

              I find this reconstruction of the facts too hasty. In order to reach such a
              conclusion, I would expect the existence of two distinct versions of the
              parable. The first one would narrate the parable without its explanation,
              and the second one would be Mark's present version. In the absence of such a
              literary evidence, Peter's conclusion requires some explanation.
              If Mark has invented the explanation of the parable, then one is to conclude
              that Jesus had told the parable without its explanation. I find this
              difficult to maintain.
              To begin with, the gospel of "Mark" openly contradicts this explanation. The
              parabolic discourse concludes with the following remark:
              "With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to
              hear it; he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained
              everything in private to his disciples." (Mark 4:33-34)
              I will comment on this passage in two points.
              First point: The parables are not meant to obscure the message. On the
              contrary, their purpose is to convey the message of Jesus concerning the
              spiritual reality called the Kingdom of God. The parabolic discourse was a
              way of adapting the language to the audience, so that the people would
              understand. This is what is implied in verse 33.
              Second point: Jesus reserved the explanation of the parable to his
              disciples, as it is stated in verse 34 and as it is specifically said of the
              parable of the sower in verses 10-12.
              In both cases it is implied that the explanation goes back to Jesus himself.
              The fact of separating the parable from its explanation does not prove, in
              and of itself, that Mark is responsible of this separation. We must examine
              Mark's text more carefully.

              Mark's version does not only separate the parable from its explanation. It
              moreover conveys the notion that Jesus reserved the explanation to his
              disciples. It goes even to the point of changing the meaning of the word
              "parable" from a concrete illustration of the spiritual reality to an
              "incomprehensible charade" (cf. Mark 4:10-12). There is here a clear
              contradiction that renders the understanding of Mark very difficult. I will
              not go now into this difficult problem.
              There are two ways of reading what pertains to the parables in Mark. The
              first one is a literal reading. In this case, Jesus himself would have
              reserved the explanation of the parable to his disciples. The second reading
              stems from the fact that Jesus could not have done so and could not have
              given the explanation found in verses 11-12. In this second case, the
              problem consists in determining who is responsible of verses 11-12, the
              disciples themselves or "Mark" or someone in between.
              I think this question must be resolved before we could speak of any relation
              between "Mark" and "John". This is particularly true if it can be proven
              that Mark did not invent anything here, but transmitted faithfully and to
              the letter what he had received, in spite of the fact that what he had
              received did not make sense, especially in relation to verses 11-12.
              So long,
              Joseph.

              Joseph Codsi
              P.O.Box 116-2088
              Beirut, Lebanon
              Telephone (961) 1 242-545
              joseph5@...
            • Peter.Hofrichter
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 7, 2004
                Am 06.02.2004 um 03:42 schrieb fmmccoy:

                > In this case, there is no exaltation of Jesus from the Logos to God
                > Himself
                > in Mark.
                >
                > Perhaps it's questionable whether this is the case in John either. Why
                > would the Johannine community keep the Prologue in John, where Jesus
                > is the
                > Logos of God as a personified divine being, if they later exalted him
                > from
                > the Logos to God Himself?
                >
                > Frank McCoy

                The same happend once more in the 4th century. After the
                Logos-christology was renewed be Justinus Martyr it was accepted by
                almost all theologians (except certain modalists especially in Asia
                Minor). But the Logos-Christology was and is incompatible with the full
                godhead of Christ. The Logos is concieved as a being between God and
                man, between God and his creature, mediator and word of creation.
                Arius, who was a famous preacher in Alexandria and a consequent
                montheist and platonist, claimed therefore that the Logos was
                subordinate to God and that he was created by him before all other
                creatures. Other theologians claimed that the Son wass of the same
                divine "substance" and eternal age as the Father. Also they referred
                the Gospel of John: Me and the Father are one, who sees Me sees the
                Father. At last the Council of Nicea (325) decided in its creed: We
                belive in him as "gennhqenta monogenh from the ousia of the Father,
                light from light ... homoousios tw patri", and so on. The term Logos is
                not to be found in this creed of Nicea and not even in it revised
                edition of Constantinople (381), which is used till today by all
                Curches. Also Arius and his friend Euzoius published a creed where the
                say at the same place: "gegennhmenon Logon Qeon". They bestowed on the
                term Logos. The controversy between Arians and Nicaenians as alredy
                before between Subordinationists and Modalists had its last reason in
                the contradiction between the Logos-Hymn and the Gospel reinterpreting
                it and de-cristoloigising the Logos and exalting Jesus to Jahwe himself
                in the oneness of God Father and Son. The most dazzeling enigma of the
                Gospel is this "contradiction", if one believes that it was written
                altogether by the same author. We are used to hear always again that
                the Logos concept is the crown and peak of all Christology. This was
                originally for ancient people definitely not at all the case. The Logos
                is clearly less than and subordinate to the one God of Israel and also
                less than and beneeth the transcendent God of Plato There the Logos is
                the soul of the cosmos. In Jewish or Christian terms he is the mediator
                of creation and revelation. And he is necessary because in Platonism
                the absolutely transcendent God himself has no relation whatsoever with
                the material world except through a mediator. Therfore Philo shows not
                God, but the Logos speaking in the burnig thorn bush, on the mount
                Sinai, and so on.

                As to Mark: The parable of the sawer is the only one, which is given an
                interpretation and an enigmatic question to the understanding of the
                disciples. Why? As referring to peple with more or less faith it is
                quite easy to be understood and does not deserve a special explanation.
                The emphasis in its undestanding must have another reason, it mus be
                because of the Logos terminology. The logical link between the Sawer,
                the seed and the problem of the Logos terminology is the concept of the
                Logos spermatikos. What the readers of the Gospel shall understand is
                exactly that Jesus is the sawer and his spoken word is the Logos as the
                logos spermatikos: the seed. One could object that Mark does not deal
                elsewhere with this problem. that is true. but if his model was the
                primitive "Gospel of John", he and his readers knew also this problem.

                The reason of the de-christologisation of the Logos by "John" (that
                means the later Hellenists) and by Mark may not have been only and on
                first line the exatation of Jesus from Logos to God himself, but also
                and even more the struggle against the beginning Gnostic spinneries
                about the preexisting divine World.

                Peter Hofrichter
              • Bill Bullin
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 7, 2004
                  -Peter Hofrichter rights to Leonard:
                  > > I know already your two Gospels Theorie. Unfortunately I cannot share
                  it. Mark is the first among the synoptics.>

                  Leonard replies: Because you say so? My response is: "prove it".

                  Bill Bullin writes:

                  Dear Leonard

                  In a recent posting to Peter Hofrichter, I set out a scheme of the
                  theoretical possibilities that are most likely to be argued in relation to
                  the origin of
                  Mark 4: 13-20 (//'s Matt. 13:8-23 & Luke 8:11-13). The nature of such a
                  scheme risks being irritating rather than helpful. At the foot I made a note
                  of my understanding of your contribution. I inadvertently designated it: (1)
                  (B) (f) which of course is entirely in error. If I understand you correctly,
                  it should simply read (1) (B). I apologise.

                  Such a position as (1) (B) wields Occam's Razor with great effect; there is
                  no need to involve 4G; Mark is late, indeed late enough to reflect the kind
                  of evolved LOGOS Christology the majority of scholars argue for, together
                  with a post 85CE separation of Church and Synagogue type social situation
                  often linked with the 'benediction of the minim'; (J. L. Martyn (1979); D.
                  Rensberger, (1988) et al.). 4G is, presumably then written in the 90's - 120
                  's CE. This makes a great deal of sense to me but do I detect the faint
                  traces of blood on the wall? What if Occam's razor, is being wielded in the
                  bathroom where a baby has been bathing? What if the baby gets cut and then
                  baby, together with the bathwater, drains away leaving precious little
                  evidence of a more complex series of events? My metaphores are almost as
                  confusingly mixed as in Mark 4: 13-20.

                  For me, a first edition of John, written in the 60's in a Palestinian
                  setting, is a serious possibility. The Temple still stands (John 5:2),
                  tensions between the synagogue and the churches grow with a worsening
                  socio-political climate, they have never been great. Although a post war
                  'benediction' has not been formulated the ma-minim or believers are growing
                  in strength and tensions between the Christian Pharisees and the Synagogue
                  are growing. The parable of the sower is well known, not only to the Petrine
                  Party but also to the economically more independent and communal Johannine
                  Hellenists / Enochian Essene / Samaritans with their 373 ANGGELGOS
                  Christology.

                  A Johannine 'sealed pericope' is formulated orally and somehow passed
                  between the communities; it is a reflection on the parable of the sower,
                  well known to all the believers in Palestine. It warns against conforming
                  either for economic gain or to avoid persecution. It is constructed using
                  the word LOGOS eight times reflecting the gematria of IESOUS 888.
                  Furthermore it uses no more and no less than 146 words, two lots of 73, the
                  gematria of CHOKMAH or Wisdom, reinforcing the message that Jesus in the
                  flesh was none other than Wisdom incarnate, the DaBaR or LOGOS who had been
                  from the beginning. But more, the 146 words are constructed from 730 Greek
                  letters to emphasise the key meditative point yet again!

                  Both communities had been reflecting on their current social situation, the
                  evangel is falling on hard ground, indeed the war clouds are gathering
                  between Rome and the Jews. The Christians are reminded of words of Jesus and
                  of the great prophet Isaiah. Indeed the Beloved disciple had only recently
                  been reflecting prayerfully on the divine shekinah glory and writing about
                  it, (John 12:38-43, Isaiah 6:11-13). Perhaps they would need to flee to
                  Alexandria. Certainly some of the Jewish-Christians were considering fleeing
                  to Pella.

                  Alternatively of course, 'Mark' - writing in a post-war situation, could
                  simply have expanded on the 128 words of Matthew 13:18-23, noticing at the
                  same time that these were composed of 4 to the power of 3 words: (4x4x4=64 +
                  64=4x4x4), a cubic number like the very Holy of Holies both on earth and in
                  heaven. Much depends on the Q or non-Q debate, which, in its broadest terms
                  is clearly something for another list, but in the specific limits of
                  analysing Mark 4 in the light of proposed early Johannine material, must
                  surely remain relevant.

                  It is clearly unlikely that either Matthew or Mark would have followed Luke
                  8:11-15 with his meagre109 words, unless of course the kind of evolutionary
                  model of Christology is applied to synoptic development theory too; but here
                  I must certainly resist the temptation to digress onto John 17 and the two
                  accounts of the Lord's Prayer found in Matthew and Luke.

                  With best wishes from Old Europe.

                  Bill Bullin (Private Student, East Sussex).

                • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 8, 2004
                    In a message dated 2/8/2004 1:16:51 PM Central Standard Time,
                    joseph5@... writes:

                    Peter Hofrichter wrote on February 5, 2004 in relation to Mark's parable of
                    the sower:

                    > In my view you have to differentiate between the parable and its
                    > interpretation. The parable is one thing. It belonged to the traditions
                    > available to Mark. The interpretation is another thing and was given by
                    > Mark himself and layed into the mouth of Jesus.

                    I find this reconstruction of the facts too hasty. In order to reach such a
                    conclusion, I would expect the existence of two distinct versions of the
                    parable. The first one would narrate the parable without its explanation,
                    and the second one would be Mark's present version. In the absence of such a
                    literary evidence, Peter's conclusion requires some explanation.
                    If Mark has invented the explanation of the parable, then one is to conclude
                    that Jesus had told the parable without its explanation. I find this
                    difficult to maintain
                    I wonder why you find this dificult, Joseph? Traditional wisdom forms like
                    the parable and the proverb are typically delivered without explication. It
                    is only once the thing leaves its milieu, often when it is committed to
                    written form, that you start finding explications attached to them.
                    Ed Tyler

                  • Peter.Hofrichter
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 9, 2004
                      Am 06.02.2004 um 15:29 schrieb Bill Bullin:

                      I always wonder how abstract especially NT-scholats are used to think
                      and argue, far away from real life. Our evangelists were not
                      sophisticated puzzle producers or people with too much leisur time or
                      well payed professors motivated by the principle publish or perish.
                      Writing and publishing a new book was a big and expensive task. If they
                      did so they must have experienced an urgent need and necessity,
                      especially if similar books already existed. They must have had a
                      strong motivation to improve or to change or to replace something they
                      were absolutely not content with or did absolutely not agree with to be
                      used in the church. We can be sure that in the young Jesus movement
                      everybody of the leading people knew everybody, but that there were
                      quite different opinions, strives and enimities like it is usual
                      especially in young movements (and even in old ones - think of your
                      parish, convent or whatsoever). Forget the romantic idea of isolated
                      communities with their isolated oral traditions and emerging new tales
                      ("Gemeindebildungen") kept hidden from everybody else for decades.
                      Where should that have been? Somewhere in the desert or on mount Hermon
                      or where? The Jesus people were mainly inhabitants of the big cities
                      with quick communication: Jerusalem, Damascus, Antioch, Caesarea,
                      Ephesus. All Gospels were produced by highly educated people, most
                      probably in Antioch. No author will have written without having before
                      his eyes all similar scriptures already existing. Think of what Luke
                      says in his Prologue, who might have been the last one to write. All
                      these famous theories mentioned below (Griesbach, Streeter, Boismatd,
                      etc.) lack of one important thing: the vital necessity and motivation
                      for each Gospel writer to do what he did.

                      The synoptic question as such belongs to another dicussion group. But
                      why should Mark make an abstract of Matthew and Luke? What is his vital
                      purpose and what is the decisive improvement? People normally want to
                      read more, not less! Abtracts were highly appreciated in antiquity
                      (e.g. Xyphilinus), but only of really lengthy works of about 100
                      volumes, which to buy or to read nobody had enough money and time. But
                      not in the case of one small booklet. What is much more likely and
                      usual is an enlarged edition with an special emphasis, like Matthew
                      made of Mark, also he a propagator of Peter stressing his claims by
                      additional arguments (as to the Jewish law or Mt 16,18). Additional
                      material was a condition of success and will have granted readers.
                      There are plenty of other examples of enlarged editions in secular
                      ancient literature, especially in historiography. About the priority of
                      a written early edition of "John" (Hellenistenbuch) as the partial
                      source and pattern of Mark and to a certain extent also once more of
                      his followers Mt and Lk I wrote already enough in this discussion
                      group. Luke as disciple and propagator of Paul could not be happy with
                      all three predecessors – none of them could be useed in the Pauline
                      Church – and wrote the last – and concerning the literary quality –
                      also the best Gospel. And there is some evidence that he used besides
                      "John", Mark, and Matthew also Matthew’s additional written source Q.
                      Then Luke had at least four earlier writings before his eyes, and his
                      statement that "many before him" have already written seems somehow
                      sincere and serious. Two or three would scarcely justify to speak of
                      "many". By the time several strong reactions on Mark and again on
                      Matthew were inserted into "John": Most Hellenists did not accept the
                      leadership of Peter and his party fovoured there, but others
                      appearently did. Additional texts of both factions were added to the
                      text existing, probably at first in different editions, but finally
                      united into only one and the same (e.g. the two different endings:
                      Thomas-story and chapter 21, and chapter 21once more augmented).

                      A last question: What is your "redactional material"? What kind of
                      substance is that? Something copied, something written from own memory
                      or from having heared from others or something concieved and produced
                      by oneself? Such abstract learned terms – as there are:
                      Gemeindebildung, Traditionsmaterial, redaktionelle Bildung, your
                      floating oral material etc. – conceal the helplessness and ingnorance
                      behind them and not only serve for nothing but poisen and block every
                      honest language in research. Say exactly what you mean and imagine it
                      in real live.

                      All the best for the future
                      Peter Hofrichter

                    • fmmccoy
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 9, 2004
                        > > In this case, there is no exaltation of Jesus from the Logos to God
                        > > Himself
                        > > in Mark.
                        > >
                        > > Perhaps it's questionable whether this is the case in John either. Why
                        > > would the Johannine community keep the Prologue in John, where Jesus
                        > > is the
                        > > Logos of God as a personified divine being, if they later exalted him
                        > > from
                        > > the Logos to God Himself?
                        > >

                        > The same happend once more in the 4th century. After the
                        > Logos-christology was renewed be Justinus Martyr it was accepted by
                        > almost all theologians (except certain modalists especially in Asia
                        > Minor). But the Logos-Christology was and is incompatible with the full
                        > godhead of Christ. The Logos is concieved as a being between God and
                        > man, between God and his creature, mediator and word of creation.
                        > Arius, who was a famous preacher in Alexandria and a consequent
                        > montheist and platonist, claimed therefore that the Logos was
                        > subordinate to God and that he was created by him before all other
                        > creatures.

                        That a Christological progression from Jesus as the Logos to Jesus as God
                        occurred in mainstream Christianity in the 4th century doesn't necessarily
                        mean that a similar Christological progression occurred in the Johannine
                        community in the 1st century.

                        In any event, the position of Arius appears to have been more sophisticated
                        than indicated above, with him distinguishing between the Logos who is the
                        Son (with this Logos being the Logos described above) and the true Logos of
                        God.

                        In Early Arianism-a View of Salvation (Fortress Press), Robert C. Gregg and
                        Dennis E. Groh state (p. 103), "As the structures of reality are differently
                        drawn by the early Arians, they argue that God's 'true' Reason and
                        Wisdom--that is, the Logos and Sophia which belong to his nature alone--are
                        his intrinsic attributes. Contrary to the charges leveled at them, the
                        Arians did not teach that God was ever without *his own* Word and Wisdom.
                        Athanasius knows this, for he preserved their doctrine of the one Wisdom
                        which is God's own and exists in him (ten idian kai synyparchousan tw thew),
                        distinguishable from the Son, and their parallel doctrine of the Word, other
                        than the Son, which is in God. The accusation contained in Alexander's
                        enclyclical is correct: the Arians say that the Son 'is neither similar to
                        the father in essence, nor is he truly and by nature (alethinos kai physei)
                        the Word of God, nor is he true (alethine) Wisdom...".

                        >Other theologians claimed that the Son wass of the same
                        > divine "substance" and eternal age as the Father. Also they referred
                        > the Gospel of John: Me and the Father are one, who sees Me sees the
                        > Father.

                        Certainly, these phrases, in John, of, "Me and the Father are one", and "Who
                        sees Me sees the Father", can be interpreted to mean that Jesus is God.

                        However, they are also intepretable in terms of a Logos Christology

                        See, for example, Fuga (101), where, regarding the Logos, Philo states,
                        "Nay, He is Himself the Image of God, chiefest of all Beings intellectually
                        perceived, placed nearest, with no intervening distance, to the Alone truly
                        existent One. For we read, 'I will talk with thee from above the
                        Mercy-seat, between the two Cherubim' (Ex. xxv. 21), words which shew that
                        while the Logos is the charioteer of the Powers, He Who talks is seated in
                        the chariot, giving directions to the charioteer for the right wielding of
                        the reins of the Universe."

                        Here, we see, the Logos is one with God, his Father, in two senses. First,
                        there is "no intervening distance" between the Logos and God, so that, in
                        some significant sense, they are a single entity. Second, the Logos is one
                        in will with God, obediently obeying whatever God tells him to do.

                        Here, we also see, the Logos is the Image of God, so that, in some
                        significant sense, to see the Logos is to see God.

                        (snip)

                        > We are used to hear always again that
                        > the Logos concept is the crown and peak of all Christology. This was
                        > originally for ancient people definitely not at all the case.

                        Agreed.

                        >The Logos
                        > is clearly less than and subordinate to the one God of Israel and also
                        > less than and beneeth the transcendent God of Plato There the Logos is
                        > the soul of the cosmos. In Jewish or Christian terms he is the mediator
                        > of creation and revelation. And he is necessary because in Platonism
                        > the absolutely transcendent God himself has no relation whatsoever with
                        > the material world except through a mediator. Therfore Philo shows not
                        > God, but the Logos speaking in the burnig thorn bush, on the mount
                        > Sinai, and so on.

                        While Philo's Logos is not Plato's soul of the cosmos, it is important to
                        note that Philo's Logos does play the same role. In Philo (Vol. 1, Harvard
                        University Press, pp. 327-28), Harry Austryn Wolfson states, "While the
                        residence of the Logos in the corporeal world is conceived by him (i.e.,
                        Philo), as we have said, after the analogy of the residence of Plato's
                        preexistent mind or soul in the body of the world, still Philo never
                        describes the immanent Logos as the mind or the soul of the world. His
                        immanent Logos, while performing the same functions as Plato's or the
                        Stoics' world-soul, is not a world-soul."

                        Also, since Philo's Logos is the One through whom the Cosmos is created,
                        Philo's Logos, even though not Plato's Demiurge, does play the same role as
                        Plato's Demiurge.

                        How does one explain why Philo's Logos plays the role of both Plato's
                        Demiurge and world-soul, yet is neither?

                        What I suspect is that Philo was influenced by the Middle Platonist, Eudorus
                        of Alexandria.

                        As respects the teachings of Eudorus, Jerry Dell Ehrlich states in Plato's
                        Gift to Christianity (Academic Christian Press, p. 104) that "the ultimate
                        transcendent God is even further exalted, which was in keeping with the
                        general trend within Middle-Platonism that the First Principle of all was
                        utterly transcendent, and the Creator of the World, the Demiurge, was a
                        Second Principle of creation, and the final principle, the third element of
                        deity, was the World-Soul or World-Spirit. While this is an interpretation
                        of Plato's own thoughts, it can be understood as an attempt at systematizing
                        Plato's Absolute One in the Republic with the Father and Maker of the
                        Universe in the Timaeus and the Living Creature (Cosmos) or World-Soul in
                        the Timaeus. While this view had tremendous influence on Philo of
                        Alexandria and the forming of the doctrine of the Christian Trinity, it
                        seems more likely that Plato himself would not have made a distinction
                        between the God beyond being and the Demiurge, the Father and Maker of the
                        Cosmos."

                        The important point here is that Eudorus did not equate the transcendent God
                        with the Demiurge, so that there are, in his thought, three divine beings,
                        i.e., the transcendent God, the Demiurge, and the World-soul.

                        In Philonic thought, the Logos apparently combines the roles of both
                        Eudorus' Demiurge and World-Soul. The Cosmos was created through the Logos
                        (so that he plays the same role as the Demiurge) and the Cosmos is ruled
                        through the Logos, who suffuses himself through the Cosmos, bonding and
                        knitting together all its parts (so that he plays the role of the
                        World-Soul).

                        Relevant to the discussion is Exodus (Book II, Sect. 68), where Philo
                        states, "And from the divine Logos, as from a spring, there divide and break
                        forth two powers. One is the creative (power), though which the Artificer
                        placed and ordered all things; this is named 'God.' And (the other is) the
                        royal (power), since through it the Creator rules over created things; this
                        is called 'Lord.'"

                        I suggest that, here, we have a clue as to how the roles of Eudorus'
                        Demiurge and the World-soul came to be assigned to Philo's Logos.

                        In particular, there appears to have been an intermediate step in which the
                        role of Eudorus' Demiurge was assigned to an angelic power called the
                        Creative Power and given the title of God and in which the role of Eudorus'
                        World-soul was assigned to an angelic power called the Royal Power and given
                        the title of Lord. This step was presumably taken by an Alexandrian Jew,
                        possibly, but not necessarily, Philo.

                        In the final step, these two angelic powers were taken to be a part of the
                        very self of the Logos. As a result, they emanate from the Logos like two
                        streams from a fountain. As these two angelic powers are of the very self
                        of the Logos, their roles are also the roles of the Logos. This last step,
                        presumably, was taken by Philo.

                        This explains why Philo gives the Logos the titles of God and Lord. The
                        Logos is God because he has the role of "God" (i.e., the Creative Power) and
                        he is Lord because he has the role of "Lord" (i.e., the Royal Power).

                        In this case, the exclamation of Thomas, "My Lord and my God!", can be
                        interpreted to be a recognition, on the part of Thomas, that Jesus is the
                        Logos: who combines, in one divine being, the Royal and Creative powers.

                        To conclude, it certainly is the case that, in John, there are some
                        statements which can be interpreted to mean that Jesus is God, e.g., Jesus'
                        declarations that he and the Father are one and that to see him is to see
                        the Father and Thomas' confession that Jesus is both Lord and God. However,
                        these same statements are also interpretable in terms of a Logos
                        Christology. In this case, there is a consistent Logos Christology in both
                        the Prologue and the main body of John.

                        Frank McCoy
                        1809 N. English Apt. 15
                        Maplewood, MN USA 55109
                      • Peter.Hofrichter
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 10, 2004
                          Dear Frank,
                          I thank you very for this really learned dissertation. I want to add
                          only some remarks. The task of the Church has always been and is also
                          today harmonizing breaks, bridging gaps, saving peace among the sheep
                          and painting pictures of heavenly unanimity. Therefore The Gopel of
                          John has been at least for 1800 to 1900 years read in a harmonizing
                          way. And this was necessary as soon as it was ascribed as a whole to
                          one and the same holy author (what may have happended already against
                          the end of the first century). The last open conflicts are visible with
                          Tertullian’s Adversus Praxeam and Hippolyt’s Philosophoumena, where he
                          argues against Pope Callistus and especially against Noetus to believe
                          in a "sonfather", may be, also with the obscure Alogoi. But the task of
                          critcal historical research is contrary to that of the pastoral efforts
                          of the Church to uncover especially the gaps and the hidden
                          contradictions, the conflicts behind the facade and what really had
                          happend, (Neverftheless I understand myself as a a believer and an
                          ecclesial thologiian.)

                          The danger of the first century was of course not Arianism but
                          Gnosticism with its growing cascades of emanations, the starting point
                          of which had been the Logos christology and the other terms of the
                          Logos-hymn (arche, life, light, man, monogenes etc.). At the other hand
                          the solution of the fourth century as to the Logos was finally reached
                          on the background of the gnostic idea of the divine pleroma, within
                          which all divine entities were thought as homoousioi. Within this
                          concept also the unknown God himself and the Logos-Mediator can be
                          concieved as homoousioi. But concerning the origin and purpose of our
                          hellenistic Gospel "of John" we should think still quite simply. There
                          is an obvious gap between the Logos-hymn and the following text. And my
                          conviction is that the purpose of this book was to give a narrative
                          antignostic commentary to this confession-like hymn quoted at the
                          biginning and already firmly established in the hellenistic church
                          (grown out of the synagogue of the Alexandrinians etc. in Jerusalem).

                          You mention the Thomas confession to be also interpretable in harmony
                          with the Logos christology. Of course, everything is possible but not
                          verisimilar: Thomas says. "Ho kyrios mou kai ho theos mou!" If you
                          compare this with Joh 1,1, you realize that "ho theos" with article is
                          there exactly not the Logos but God himself. In addition we have in
                          the Gospel also the "I am" sayings (Ego eimi) at the capture of Jesus,
                          which remind us of the Name of Yahwe in Gen 3,13: "I am who I am". The
                          Thomas Confession is certainly the summary and the peak of the
                          christological teaching of this Gospel. In some respect it is the
                          conterpart to the confession of Peter in Mark (and in my view a later
                          added reaction to it).

                          Once more, the prupose of the Gospel was to give the hymnic confession
                          of faith of the Helleniists quoted at is beginning a new meaning: Its
                          text should not be underrstood as speking of prexistence and world
                          creation etc. but from it first line of the historical Jesus and his
                          revelation. God ("Ho theos") should be understood as Jesus himself and
                          the Logos as the spoken word of his revelation. This was the intention
                          of this book. And during the first and fist half of the second century
                          this strategy seems to have beeen successful and has been adopted also
                          by the other NT writers.

                          With complemtes
                          Peter Hofrichter

                          PS: Because of a journey I shall not be able to continue the dicussion.
                          Thanks to everybody and good buy!

                          Am 09.02.2004 um 18:49 schrieb fmmccoy:

> [...]
                        • Peter.Hofrichter
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 10, 2004
                            Am 10.02.2004 um 09:30 schrieb Peter.Hofrichter:

                            > PS: Because of a journey I shall not be able to continue the dicussion.
                            > Thanks to everybody and good buy!

                            I wanted to write: Good bye! Sorry, but If it was a Freudian mistake,
                            may be, my Unterbewusstsein wanted to recommad you to buy one of my
                            books. So long!
                            P.H.