Re: Voegelin quote

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2004
      This quote from Voegelin has been cited a lot lately:
      "'Because the Gospel of John paints this primary impression of Jesus so
      uncomparably intensive, it stands by content ('sachlich') and temporarily at
      the beginning.'

      I feel the need to point out that the English translation here is not exact,
      which may be causing some misunderstanding. I do not have the German
      original, so what follows is more of a reconstruction than a translation,
      but I think it should read:
      "Because the Gospel of John paints this first-hand impression of Jesus so
      incomparably and so intensively, it stands in relation to its content and in
      relation to date (time) at the beginning."

      I pass no comment on the content of this quotation.

      Best Wishes

      JOHN E STATON
      jestaton@...
      www.jestaton.org