Re: Days of the week in Greek

  • big_mart_2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "John E Staton"
      <jestaton@z...> wrote:
      > Bob,
      .......I was also
      > taught to pronounce Greek H as an e grave, and Latin c as "k" (i.e.
      Cicero
      > is pronounced kikero rather than chichero), and I believe I am in the
      > minority in every case. But what does it matter?

      In other words you were taught the Classical pronunciation. Western
      scholars learn NT Greek in the Classical pronunciation. There is
      nothing wrong with that, as it facilitates etymological discussion of
      the texts, but they are often unaware that it was actually pronounced
      more or less like Modern Greek. In the same way conservative Greeks
      (the situation is gradually changing) refuse to believe that Ancient
      Greek was pronounced differently from Modern Greek, then wonder why
      Oxford scholars with cut glass accents can make Aeschylus scan and
      they can't.

      > I have no wish to argue with Stephen Carlson, who has obviously done
      more
      > reading on the subject than I have. If he is right, the Turks must have
      > picked it up from the Greeks, since they call the rice dish the
      Indians know
      > as Pilau *Pilaf".
      >
      > Best Wishes
      > JOHN E STATON
      > jestaton@s...
      > www.jestaton.org

      This is a non sequitur. The Turkic rulers in India were not in day to
      day touch with the Ottomans. When the Ottomans learned about the dish
      in question, it is most likely that they just adopted the
      pronunciation in which it came to them.

      Martin Edwards BA(UEA) PGCE(Hull) RT(England and Wales)
      Stockland Green High School, Birmingham