Re: Days of the week in Greek

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      Bob,
      You mention of the Hebrew waw/vav is indeed apposite. I was taught to
      pronounce it "vav", which is (I believe) the modern Hebrew pronunciation,
      but the majority (I believe) pronoouce it "waw", which is more likely to be
      the more ancient form. At the end of the day, it matters little. I was also
      taught to pronounce Greek H as an e grave, and Latin c as "k" (i.e. Cicero
      is pronounced kikero rather than chichero), and I believe I am in the
      minority in every case. But what does it matter?

      I have no wish to argue with Stephen Carlson, who has obviously done more
      reading on the subject than I have. If he is right, the Turks must have
      picked it up from the Greeks, since they call the rice dish the Indians know
      as Pilau *Pilaf".

      Best Wishes
      JOHN E STATON
      jestaton@...
      www.jestaton.org
    • big_mart_2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
        --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "John E Staton"
        <jestaton@z...> wrote:
        > Bob,
        .......I was also
        > taught to pronounce Greek H as an e grave, and Latin c as "k" (i.e.
        Cicero
        > is pronounced kikero rather than chichero), and I believe I am in the
        > minority in every case. But what does it matter?

        In other words you were taught the Classical pronunciation. Western
        scholars learn NT Greek in the Classical pronunciation. There is
        nothing wrong with that, as it facilitates etymological discussion of
        the texts, but they are often unaware that it was actually pronounced
        more or less like Modern Greek. In the same way conservative Greeks
        (the situation is gradually changing) refuse to believe that Ancient
        Greek was pronounced differently from Modern Greek, then wonder why
        Oxford scholars with cut glass accents can make Aeschylus scan and
        they can't.

        > I have no wish to argue with Stephen Carlson, who has obviously done
        more
        > reading on the subject than I have. If he is right, the Turks must have
        > picked it up from the Greeks, since they call the rice dish the
        Indians know
        > as Pilau *Pilaf".
        >
        > Best Wishes
        > JOHN E STATON
        > jestaton@s...
        > www.jestaton.org

        This is a non sequitur. The Turkic rulers in India were not in day to
        day touch with the Ottomans. When the Ottomans learned about the dish
        in question, it is most likely that they just adopted the
        pronunciation in which it came to them.

        Martin Edwards BA(UEA) PGCE(Hull) RT(England and Wales)
        Stockland Green High School, Birmingham