Re: Re; Water Symbolism

  • matt_estrada
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2003
      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Grondin"
      <mwgrondin@c...> wrote:
      > --- John E Staton wrote:
      > > Never thought I would end up agreeing with Mike Grondin :-) ...
      >
      > I found this amusing, John, because I have this favorite saying -
      > "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while" - that pops
      > into my mind whenever one of those few folks whom I consider truly
      > clueless unexpectedly comes up with something I actually agree
      with.
      > I assume I'm not a blind squirrel to you; certainly neither Matthew
      > nor yourself are to me. I find Matthew's paper to be learned and
      > meaty (complete with LXX readings) - almost a small book, really -
      > but the organization of it (in terms of a list of suggested
      > Johannine sources) doesn't make it easy to come to grips with. I
      > do regard the Cana story as an elaborate allegory, and Matthew's
      > exegesis does seem to be on the right track, but many of the
      > details and specific claims of it don't seem right to me.
      >
      > Mike Grondin

      Again, Mike, thanks for taking the time to work your way through my
      NOT user-friendly paper, and for seeing merit in my thesis. I have
      tried for many years to get scholars to read the paper, asking for
      help (a partnership?) with the re-writing of it, so as to make it
      publishable for others to read, with little success. I am thankful
      that I am being permitted to share my views on this Johannine Lit
      list. Believe it or not, I attended both the Raymond Brown John
      Conference and the last two SBL/John conferences trying to give away
      floppy disk to anyone and everyone, asking that they read my thesis.
      I am sure I had people wondering about my sanity:) Thanks, again, for
      your kind words and your feedback.