Nobody's All Bad

  • Big_Mart_98
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2003
      I think W and H raise a good point with the following, though I
      haven't read enough to know where they went with it:
      No autograph of any book of the New Testament is known or
      believed to be still in existence. The originals must have been early
      lost, for they are mentioned by no ecclesiastical writer, although
      there were many motives for appealing to them, had they been
      forthcoming, in the second and third centuries: one or two passages
      have sometimes been supposed to refer to them, but certainly by a
      misinterpretation. The books of the New Testament have had to share
      the fate of other ancient writings in being copied again and again
      [page 5] during more than fourteen centuries down to the invention of
      printing and its application to Greek literature.

      Mart.
    • Big_Mart_98
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2003
        --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Big_Mart_98"
        <big_mart_98@y...> wrote:
        > I think W and H raise a good point with the following, though I
        > haven't read enough to know where they went with it:
        > No autograph of any book of the New Testament is known or
        > believed to be still in existence. The originals must have been early
        > lost, for they are mentioned by no ecclesiastical writer, although
        > there were many motives for appealing to them, had they been
        > forthcoming, in the second and third centuries: one or two passages
        > have sometimes been supposed to refer to them, but certainly by a
        > misinterpretation. The books of the New Testament have had to share
        > the fate of other ancient writings in being copied again and again
        > [page 5] during more than fourteen centuries down to the invention of
        > printing and its application to Greek literature.
        >
        > Mart.

        Humble apologies. I posted this to the wrong group: please ignore it.