Re: Prophecy

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
      John,

      Thanks to you and Bob for a stimulating discussion. Hopefully, a few
      personal end-notes won't strain the patience of yourself and others
      overly much.

      1. 'predict' v. 'foretell'
      You may have noticed an absence of the word 'predict' from my later
      notes. It does seem to have certain connotations that would seem to
      presuppose an answer to the question of what precedes the utterance.
      'Foretell' seems more neutral, hence a better choice.

      2. the emic/etic distinction
      The distinction itself seems clear enough, but the more one mulls
      over how it might be applied to what actually goes on in critical
      exegesis, the murkier things get. At first, it seemed to be just
      the distinction that was needed to differentiate critical from
      uncritical scholarship, but that now seems questionable. Important
      as this subject might be, however, it's undoubtedly best pursued
      offlist.

      3. "prophecy"
      This discussion having started before the SBL meeting in Atlanta,
      a collection of commentaries caught my eye as I was perusing the
      book booths there one day. The commentary on Revelation in this
      particular collection was written by Craig Evans. I didn't have
      time to do much except scan the first couple pages, but what
      particularly struck me was Evans' comment that the term 'prophecy'
      was notoriously difficult (my words, not necessarily an exact
      quote). Unfortunately, I either didn't read or don't recall
      precisely what difficulty he had in mind, or whether he provided a
      suggested resolution to it, but it's comforting in a way that we
      haven't been just spinning our wheels on questions that've been
      answered to everyone else's satisfaction.

      Regards,
      Mike Grondin