[John_Lit] Revelation

  • McGrath, James
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2003
      Before proceeding further with some questions, I wanted to double check
      with the moderator (and everyone) as to the place of Revelation on this
      list. On the one hand, it is the most 'Johannine' work in the New
      Testament, since it is the only one whose author actually calls himself
      'John'! :) On the other hand, the Greek suggests it is clearly by a
      different author than that of the Gospel and Letters. If it is
      appropriate to talk about things like the date of Revelation, then I am
      interested in exploring the idea that it, like all other apocalyptic
      works, might be a pseudepigraphic work, written in the time of the last
      emperor before the end comes, but written as though the author is living
      in Nero's time. Moderator, please let us know if this topic is either
      too or insufficiently Johannine for this list! :)

      James

      Dr. James F. McGrath
      Assistant Professor of Religion
      Butler University, Indianapolis