[John_Lit] Re:Did John know the synoptics?

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2000
      Elizabeth Danna wrote:
      >I for one would be interested in hearing more about the relationship
      >between the Gospel of John and the Gospel of Matthew. Let's hear more
      >from whoever raised the issue in a recent posting.

      Elizabeth,
      There is evidence that the Johannine Redactor and also the later
      interpolators have been influenced by the gospel of Matthew.
      On the following page on my Web site:
      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/john_reda.html
      you will find a table indicating nine Johannine (Redactor?!) texts which
      appear to have been influenced by texts in Matthew.
      Also late interpolations (as I see them):
      John 20:23 was surely inspired by Matt 16:19 & 18:18.
      John 21, like Matt 16:18, but unlike the material in the earlier
      editions of John, presents Peter as the most important disciple.
      Also very late interpolations (as I see them):
      John 9:38-39a [most later MSS] ("and worshipped him") is based on Matt
      28:9.
      John 12:8 [most MSS] has its closest synoptic parallel in Matthew.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...