Re: [John_Lit] Re: Mary

  • Ken Durkin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2003
      From: "kymhsm" <khs@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 11:14 PM
      Subject: [John_Lit] Re: Mary

      <<Firstly, the idea that the Revelation preceded events about which
      it speaks is not a problem if one accepts that it was God-given>>

      The apocalyptic genre provides a pattern for history. The writer sets the
      revelation in the past. God controlled the past it is saying and so he can
      control the future. In general the events are based in the past and would be
      known to readers. I go along with von Rad, that apocalyptic originates in
      the Widsom schools.
      Ken Durkin
    • kymhsm
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2003
        Dear Ken,

        <<< The apocalyptic genre provides a pattern for history. The
        writer sets the revelation in the past. God controlled the past it is
        saying and so he can control the future. In general the events are
        based in the past and would be known to readers. I go along
        with von Rad, that apocalyptic originates in the Widsom schools.

        In apocalyptic literature the writer might set the revelation in the
        past, but it could hardly be said that the Revelation is set in the
        past. It would make no sense to the Asian believers if this were
        so. If it was late and it did make sense, I suspect some one
        would have commented on it somewhere.

        This may not be an issue for the Johannine list but, If it is
        conceded that God controlled the past, it cannot be a mere
        possibility that God `can control the future'. The God who
        controlled the past also controls the future. For God to control the
        future means that he knows the future (eg. Isa 46:10; Rev1:8). If
        God knows the future then there it is not an issue for him to
        declare it in terms and images that he had spent the last two
        millennia establishing.

        Sincerely,

        Kym Smith
        Adelaide