Re: [John_Lit] Mary

  • Ron Starcher
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 10, 2003
      D.A. Carson poses the possibility that John may not name the mother of Jesus in order to "avoid confusing her with other women by the name of Mary." (Gospel According to John p.198). Maybe there is nothing of a conspiritorial nature about this.

      Ron

      Big_Mart_98 <big_mart_98@...> wrote:

      > Under Jewish naming practices it is unlikely Mary had a full-blood
      sister
      > also named Mary. Clopas/Alphaeus is reported by Hegesippus to be the
      > brother of Joseph, hence Mary's "sister" is Mary's sister-in-law.
      >
      > JK

      Thanks, that makes sense. Any idea why this Gospel does not name
      Jesus's is mother? It cannot be just sexism , because of the women
      who are named.

      Mart.

      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 4, 2003
        Frank:

        F. C. Grant saw no problem in a combination of figurative and literal
        meanings in 1 Peter 5:13. In his article on Mark in the Encyclopedia Americana he
        wrote: "Further, the intimate reference in 1 Peter, joining Mark's greeting
        with Peter's and those of the church in 'Babylon' (Rome?), would be more natural
        if the relationship was physical as well as spiritual." According to Swete,
        huios does not involve a spiritual relationship which in the Pauline Epistles
        is expressed by teknon.

        I have argued previously that Mark was forbidden by Jesus to accompany Peter
        during the Galilean ministry. This did not preclude him from being a disciple
        of John the Baptist. (Mathetes means learner or pupil.) J. E. Bruns wrote
        two articles about the confusion between John and John Mark. In one he quotes
        a document which claims Mark was with the servants at Cana. According to Mark
        6:31, the trip which ended in the feeding of the five thousand was supposed
        to be for a rest and there was no reason to make Mark stay home. Mark could
        have been present when his grandmother was healed, in the fishing boat, and with
        Peter when he went to Jerusalem for the Passover.

        Mark's limited contact with Jesus explains why we have just these relatively
        few stories about Jesus. There were many other things which Jesus did. Could
        John 21:24f be Mark's ending to his notes?

        George Melick, Drexel University (Retired)
        9 Attleboro Court
        Red Bank, NJ 07701
        http://georgemelick.tripod.com