RE: [John_Lit] Chiastic structures in John

  • Perry L. Stepp
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 10, 2003
      Actually, the idea is one that I'm quite interested in. I know that
      several chiasms have been proposed before, so it's certainly not beyond
      the pale. But such a large topic requires a bit of ambition (and time)
      from the respondent, which I just haven't had. YET.

      Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
      Kentucky Christian College
    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 54 of 54 , Oct 15, 2003
        Dear list
        In Jesus in the Johannine Tradition ed Thatcher and Fortna, in an essay on
        Little Flags, Sara Winter distinguishes three stages in the construction of
        FG: the signs gospel, a redaction of glosses in the perfect tense, and a
        final redaction. This seems to require up to three writers in succession.

        While reading this idea, I wondered about the self-referential and Father
        and Spirit unity references as well as the use of tenses to denote
        completion or unity or some unusual idea of time. Where does the idea for
        such a holistic and Trinitarian construction come from in literature of the
        time - or is it unique to FG? Are there any shadows of it in Tanakh?

        Example 17:26: SW: and I made known to them your name so that it might be
        among them as I am among them.
        FE: And I made known to them your name and will make it known so that the
        love with which you have loved me may be in them and I in them.

        Does this final part of the prayer hearken back to the My Father and I - we
        will come and make our home in you - the dwellings section of the FD? - it
        seems to correspond.

        Is the movement from name in the Signs Gospel to the Trinitarian forms a
        sufficient origin for what seems a unique theology and Christology?

        (Some (not all) of this editing and the perfect tense glosses seem as
        plausible and as reasonable historically as the distinction between Jesus
        words and the words of the FE in chapter 3. The use of tenses as a means of
        timewise decomposition seems to negate the possibility of time-centred
        paradox in the original text. e.g. 17:26 'and will make it known' which Sara
        suggests is a contradiction with the prior parts of the prayer.)

        Bob

        mailto::BobMacDonald@...
        + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

        Catch the foxes for us,