Re: [John_Lit] Introductory texts

  • Mary Coloe
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
      With my undergraduates who take john in their 2nd or 3rd year I have found
      Culpepper's book very clear and affordable. I set this as a must have.
      Moloney's SP commentary i highly refommend if they are wanting to purchase
      one solid commentary on the Gospel.

      Culpepper, R. Alan. The Gospel and Letters of John, Iterpreting Biblical
      Texts. Nashville: Abingdon, 1998. Set text.
      Moloney, F. J. The Gospel of John. Sacra Pagina 4. Collegeville: Michael
      Glazier Liturgical Press, 1998. (If you can afford one major commentary)

      The following i highly recommend if they can't afford Moloney's commentary
      that they have a look at these smaller and less expensive books.
      Moloney, F. J. Reading John: Introducing the Johannine gospel and letters.
      Melbourne: Collins Dove, 1995. [this is a small paperback - very useful
      in-expensive]
      Brown. Raymond E. The Gospel and Epistles of John: A Concise Commentary.
      Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 1988. (small, cheap good value)
      Lindars, B. John. New Testament Guides. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1990. Good
      value inexpensive.
      Brown, R. E., The Community of the Beloved Disciple. London: Chapman, 1979.
      Kysar, R. John. Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1986
      Schneiders, Sandra Marie. Written that you may believe: Encountering Jesus
      in the Fourth
      Gospel. New York: Crossroad 1999.
      Stibbe, M. W. G. John's gospel. London; New York: Routledge, 1994.

      I found Talbert's commentary on Luke very good but not on John.

      .Dr. Mary Coloe pbvm
      http://dlibrary.acu.edu.au/staffhome/macoloe/
      Australian Catholic University Limited
      (ABN 15050 192660)

      Locked Bag 4115
      Fitzroy. VIC 3065 AUSTRALIA

      ph (61 + 3) 99533137 Fax (61 + 3) 99533245
      M.Coloe@...