predestination in John

  • Joel and Rachel
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2003
      While I realize elaborate systematics and philosophical discussions are not
      being presented in John's Gospel; I am curious as to opinions on chapter
      twelve and its' quotations from Isaiah. It seems that some tension runs
      throughout the book between God's monergism and synergism. But John is
      making the point in 12:39-40 that the multitude *could not believe* because
      "He" (God) has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart. It would seem
      that John sees the initiative in blinding and preventing from salvation as
      located in God. Or is this offset by the "believe in Me" language elsewhere
      in the pericope? I am confused as to John's views of 'election' for lack of
      a better term. I realize I am importing dogmatic categories into the BT
      realm, but it helps to clarify what I am getting at. I would love to hear
      the views of others on this subject. Thanks,

      Joel Wilhelm

      Idaho