Re: [John_Lit] Oh no, another one

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2003
      Big_Mart_98 wrote:

      >A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New
      >Testament, 819.E.W.Bullinger states:
      >
      >"Used here[cross] for the stauros on which Jesus was crucified. Both
      >words[stauros, xylon]disagree with the modern idea of a cross, with
      >which we have become familiarized by pictures.The stauros was simply
      >an upright pale or stake to which the Romans nailed those who were
      >thus said to be crucified. Stauroo[the verb], merely to drive stakes.
      >It never means two pieces of wood joining each other at any angle.
      >Even the Latin word crux means a mere stake." [Now that's a new one on
      >me-M]
      >
      >Martin Edwards.

      I note again not only that this actually **disconfirms** your claim
      about the verb STAUROW primarily meaning "**to tie** [with ropes] to a
      stake", but that it is **no** what I asked you to produce. To remind
      you for the third (or is it the fourth?) time, this is a list of the
      place or places in the corpus of available Classical and Hellenistic
      Greek texts where STAUROW is employed with the meaning you claim it
      possessed.

      In the light of your continuing to send me quotes from secondary sources
      in place of what I have actually requested from you, it seems clear
      that you actually know of no such instances of STAUROW being used with
      the meaning of "**to tie** to a stake", and that on this matter you
      really have -- and have had from the beginning -- no basis for making
      the claim you did.

      But I'd be grateful to be shown that I am wrong in concluding this.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Chicago, Illinois
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2003
        > In the light of your continuing to send me quotes from secondary
        sources
        > in place of what I have actually requested from you, it seems clear
        > that you actually know of no such instances of STAUROW being used with
        > the meaning of "**to tie** to a stake", and that on this matter you
        > really have -- and have had from the beginning -- no basis for making
        > the claim you did.
        >
        > But I'd be grateful to be shown that I am wrong in concluding this.
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Jeffrey
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson
        > Chicago, Illinois
        > e-mail jgibson000@c...

        You're right: I can't quote a primary source, but I am sure I read it
        somewhere, and there are loads of secondary sources like the two I
        quoted ("continue is a bit strong, old chap"). I just read groups
        like this for fun, I am not a postgrad student.

        Mart.