Re: [John_Lit] Jn 19:34/Mt 27:49

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2003
      --- Ramsey Michaels <profram@...> wrote:

      > Some food for thought here. Yet all of these
      > considerations you raise could
      > also be reasons why later scribes might have omitted
      > these words if they
      > were original to Matthew's text. The tricky thing
      > about such argements is
      > that they almost invariably cut two ways.

      Dear Ramsey:

      All anyone can do is demonstrate was reasonable. Is it
      reasonable to assume the variant in Mt 27:49 is
      original vs. an interpolation? This question can be
      answered in part or to some degree of satisfaction by
      the considerations I have given as a footnote on Mt
      27:49. Further data is forthcoming from a payrological
      perspective. Four papyri fragments appear to comprise
      relics from a second century codex of Matthew
      (collectively as P77). J. K. Elliott, NovTest XLI
      (April, 1999): 105ff has suggested that in addition to
      P77 should be added P. Oxy 4406. Earlier J. D. Thomas,
      Oxy. Pap. 64: 5-6, assigned no. 4403 as a portion to
      P77. It is posible, if Elliott's attribution is
      correct, to reconstruct the codex to determine if
      there is adequate space to accommodate the 60 letters
      (2.4 lines) of the text in question. The data provided
      in Comfort and Barrett, The Text of the Earliest NT
      Greek MSS (2001): 609 does not appear to accurately
      characterize the physical descriptions of these
      fragments. Their text appears fine regarding the text
      though. This is a problem (the reconstruction of
      Matthew) I am still working on, as I am sure others
      are too.

      john

      =====
      John N. Lupia, III