[John_Lit] Re: Relationships between EpsJn & GJn

  • Moloneyfj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 1999
      There is a very full discussion of this matter in the introductions of both Schnackurg and Brown on the letters. The other valuable study of these issues, offering another suggestion is Judith Lieu's book on the Second and Third Epistle (again in the Introduction).

      Frank Moloney
    • Ken Durkin
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 1999
        Frank
        Many thanks for the information. I was also thinking about monographs on the
        subject. I've been away from Johannine study for many years & I've been
        updating over the last couple of years. I've always thought 1Jn predates GJn
        & is a 'source' for parts of GJn.
        I've been reading "Reading John in Ephesus" by Sjef van Tilborg & was
        surprised by absence of any refs to the library built in 106/107 in honor of
        Proconsul of Asia, Tiberius Julius Celsus Polemaeanus. Jn21:25 - world not
        big enough for all the books etc - oblique reference to this building?
        Ken Durkin

        > There is a very full discussion of this matter in the introductions of
        both Schnackurg and Brown on the letters. The other valuable study of these
        issues, offering another suggestion is Judith Lieu's book on the Second and
        Third Epistle (again in the Introduction).

        > Frank Moloney

        > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/johannine_literature/

      • David Rensberger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2000
          Ken,

          > I've always thought 1Jn predates GJn & is a 'source' for parts of GJn.

          This is also the view of Kenneth Grayston in his 1984 New Century Bible
          commentary on the Johannine epistles.

          David
          --
          David Rensberger, Professor of New Testament
          Interdenominational Theological Center