[John_Lit] Re: Messiah

  • Big_Mart_98
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2003
      -

      > A problem that may be operating here, and to which I tried to draw
      attention before, is that you have not yet stated what your definition
      of "deification" actually is, let alone that your definition is
      something that Philo or the author of John or of the Hymn Rick refers
      to would have accepted. Could you clarify please?

      > JG
      > --
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson
      > Chicago, Illinois
      > e-mail jgibson000@c...

      As an unbeliever I do not have a definition myself. If, however, the
      writers in question believed that Yahweh was the one and only god (or
      God), I doubt whether they believed that Jesus was him (or Him)
      incarnate. The Docetists found a way out by declaring him only
      apparently human. I assume, and please correct me if this is wrong,
      that you believe that Jesus was a real human being. On that, at least,
      we agree.

      Mart.