Re: [John_Lit] Johannine Community/Eating

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      At 02:37 PM 9/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >Bob, I'm not sure if I understand your point. Are you saying that if
      >this verb was part of the Greek vocabulary of other Gospel authors, then
      >the author of the Fourth Gospel must have known it too? I do not see how
      >this follows. Are you working from the assumption that John used the
      >Synoptics as one of his literary sources, or that he knew the other
      >Gospel authors and conversed with them in Greek (presumably on the
      >subject of eating, at some point)? Please clarify this, as I am unclear
      >on your point and thus do not know how to respond!
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >James

      James,
      I am merely suggesting that the author of GJohn knew the same Greek as the
      authors of the Synoptic Gospels. In other words, my answer to your first
      question is "Yes." Is that such a bizarre suggestion? I think that the
      burden of proof is rather upon you to explain why it was that the author of
      GJohn did NOT know how to conjugate the present tense of esthiw, or for
      some reason was unfamiliar with its use.

      Bob