[John_Lit] Johannine Community/Eating

  • McGrath, James
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Bob, I'm not sure if I understand your point. Are you saying that if
      this verb was part of the Greek vocabulary of other Gospel authors, then
      the author of the Fourth Gospel must have known it too? I do not see how
      this follows. Are you working from the assumption that John used the
      Synoptics as one of his literary sources, or that he knew the other
      Gospel authors and conversed with them in Greek (presumably on the
      subject of eating, at some point)? Please clarify this, as I am unclear
      on your point and thus do not know how to respond!

      Thanks,

      James

      *****************************
      Dr. James F. McGrath
      Assistant Professor of Religion
      Butler University, Indianapolis
      http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/
      *****************************

      Your hypothesis is a bit strained. While it seems to be true that the
      present tense of esthio does not seem to appear in GJohn, it does appear
      in
      other Gospels, such as Matthew 26:21 "while they were eating...", Luke
      15:2
      , etc.

      Bob
    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        At 02:37 PM 9/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >Bob, I'm not sure if I understand your point. Are you saying that if
        >this verb was part of the Greek vocabulary of other Gospel authors, then
        >the author of the Fourth Gospel must have known it too? I do not see how
        >this follows. Are you working from the assumption that John used the
        >Synoptics as one of his literary sources, or that he knew the other
        >Gospel authors and conversed with them in Greek (presumably on the
        >subject of eating, at some point)? Please clarify this, as I am unclear
        >on your point and thus do not know how to respond!
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >James

        James,
        I am merely suggesting that the author of GJohn knew the same Greek as the
        authors of the Synoptic Gospels. In other words, my answer to your first
        question is "Yes." Is that such a bizarre suggestion? I think that the
        burden of proof is rather upon you to explain why it was that the author of
        GJohn did NOT know how to conjugate the present tense of esthiw, or for
        some reason was unfamiliar with its use.

        Bob