Re: [John_Lit] Re: Messiah

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2003
      Big_Mart_98 wrote:

      >-
      >

      >>"Moses therefore describes the perfect man as being neither God nor
      >>man, but, as I said before, something on the border between
      >>uncreated and the perishable nature."(On Dreams 2.234)
      >>
      >>It's a short step from this to deification, I would think.
      >>
      >>So how can you safely say that deification is a departure from
      >>Judaism?
      >>
      >>Regards,
      >>Rick Sumner
      >>Calgary, Alberta Canada
      >>

      >It's a fair point that it is only a short step to deification, but I
      >don't feel that it has actually been made in any of the sources you
      >quote. On the other hand I realize from this discussion that I have
      >behaved unhistorically in reading rabbinic Judaism back into the
      >period in question.

      A problem that may be operating here, and to which I tried to draw attention before, is that you have not yet stated what your definition of "deification" actually is, let alone that your definition is something that Philo or the author of John or of the Hymn Rick refers to would have accepted. Could you clarify please?

      JG
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Chicago, Illinois

    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2003
        Big_Mart_98 wrote:

        >-
        >What of the array of ancient Palestinian and Diaspora
        >

        >>Jewish literature **have** you read?
        >>
        >>Please forgive me if I sound blunt on this matter. It's not my
        >>

        >intention. But
        >

        >>I'd really like to have the answers to these questions.
        >>
        >>JG
        >>

        >Not a lot, but I have read a lot of academic works which refer to
        >them. The orientation of the scholars I have read is probably
        >somewhat different from your own.

        Possibly. But then again, without knowing who these scholars are or what
        the acdemic works are that you have read, it would be very difficult to
        say. Care to name a few names?

        JG

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Chicago, Illinois

      • Big_Mart_98
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2003
          -

          > A problem that may be operating here, and to which I tried to draw
          attention before, is that you have not yet stated what your definition
          of "deification" actually is, let alone that your definition is
          something that Philo or the author of John or of the Hymn Rick refers
          to would have accepted. Could you clarify please?

          > JG
          > --
          > Jeffrey B. Gibson
          > Chicago, Illinois
          > e-mail jgibson000@c...

          As an unbeliever I do not have a definition myself. If, however, the
          writers in question believed that Yahweh was the one and only god (or
          God), I doubt whether they believed that Jesus was him (or Him)
          incarnate. The Docetists found a way out by declaring him only
          apparently human. I assume, and please correct me if this is wrong,
          that you believe that Jesus was a real human being. On that, at least,
          we agree.

          Mart.