Re: [John_Lit] John and Theology reflections?

  • Ken Durkin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
      Excellent conference. I enjoyed the way you presented your paper Paul - got
      off to a good start. Will write a bit more about it when I've more time.
      Enjoyed your paper too Jeffrey.

      I agree RB and AT organized a fine event. But I think conferences should be
      professionally organized. I've left the academic world now and work in
      financial services - and the presentations are much better, using many
      different techniques (old and new) to get the message across. Apart from
      lights and mics, Paul's was the only attempt to use equipment that's been
      invented in the last 100 years. (Oh I forgot, someone used an OHP.)

      KenDurkin

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
        Paul Anderson wrote:

        <Jeffrey [i.e., Jeffery], would you care to share with
        the listserve any reflections on the Gospel of St.
        John and Christian Theology Conference at St. Andrews?
        There were about 150 attenders present and it seems to
        me that there were some excellent interdisciplinary
        discussions by some really fine scholars. Richard
        Bauckham and Alan Torrance are to be commended for
        organizing such a fine event!>

        Sorry not to get a reply to this sooner. I spent a
        week showing my brother and his wife around this part
        of Korea (the Seoul area) and have fallen behind in
        everything.

        Thanks to Jeffrey Gibson for reminding one and all
        that our names are orthographically distinct.

        Now, to the topic. I hadn't been to a conference
        outside Korea since 1999, so I was dead-set on making
        the most of it. I had the chance to meet up with
        Martin Hengel and Judith Lieu, whom I originally got
        to know back in 1989 in Tuebingen.

        I presented -- as a short paper -- a revised version
        of an earlier conference paper, which was announced
        online as "Earthly Versus Heavenly Nourishment in the
        Gospel of John." At least, I think that was me. The
        actual title of the paper that I gave was "Gift-Giving
        Across the Sacred-Profane Divide: A Maussian Analysis
        of Heavenly Versus Earthly Food in Gnosticism and
        John�s Gospel" a revision of an article that some of
        you have previously read on Felix Just's website
        (http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/John/SBL1999-HodgesA.html).
        Also, my name was given online as "Horrace Jeffrey
        Hodges" -- and still reads as such on the website.
        Some things never change.

        Enough biography already.

        The conference was good, primarily due to its breadth
        and the quality of many of the scholars -- though I
        wish that there had been more time for discussion.

        The major dialogue sessions were:

        1) CHRISTOLOGY: Murray Rae (King's College, London)
        and Paul Anderson (George Fox University)

        2) ANTI-JUDAISM: Judith Lieu (King's College, London)
        and Stephen Motyer (London Bible College)

        3) HISTORY AND FAITH: Stephen Evans (Baylor
        University) and Richard Bauckham (University of St
        Andrews)

        4 JOHANNINE DUALISM AND CONTEMPORARY PLURALISM:
        Miroslav Volf (Yale University) and Stephen Barton
        (University of Durham)

        My own paper was most closely connected to the
        dualism/pluralism talks, so I was especially
        interested in those and took an opportunity to speak
        with Volf about Johannine dualism early on the final
        morning as we were leaving together for the airport.
        He had de-emphasized dualism in John, but I suggested
        that the dualism is quite strong in John but is
        ethical rather than ontological. By that, I meant that
        the dualism of good and evil is not based on
        ontologically distinct substances -- though I grant
        that John probably does have an ontology of substances
        as well, i.e., spirit and non-spirit (for lack of a
        better term).

        What I liked about the conference was its
        interdisciplinary character. My own intellectual
        course has been interdisciplinary (and continues to
        be), so this fit my interests well. This left
        intellectual space for a questioning of assumptions
        that scholars in a single disciple might have ...
        well, ... simply assumed. The issue of what
        constitutes history (Evans and Bauckham) was
        especially significant in this respect.

        The anti-Judaism and Christology sessions were also
        quite good -- though I was feeling a lot of jet-lag
        and wasn't as alert for the Christology ones, which
        were on the first full day of the conference.

        I wish that I could give more details, but there's
        been a lot of blood under the bridge since the
        conference, and my mind is focused on other things
        these days. Perhaps you, Paul, could say more,
        especially about your talk.

        Sorry to close so abruptly -- I have to get some
        courses ready for the semester.

        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
          Thanks, Jeffery.

          I feel that one of the most important things to come from the conference was the interdisciplinary engagement between biblical scholars and theologians. It really can be intimidating for a scholar to venture out of one's particular area of expertise, but that also is where some of the really important integration takes place, and each approach seasons the other. One of the sessions I felt was also valuable was an interdisciplinary investigation of John 11--seven papers in all, by Marianne Meye Thompson, Andrew Lincoln, Chris Seitz, Alan Torrance, Ronald Piper, Philip Esler, and Trevor Hart. It was an excellent session showing how different exegetical approaches had their own contributions to offer.

          A second thing I was impressed by is the degree to which the dialectical tensions in John came into discussion on almost every topic. Considering the character and origin of those tensions was the way I approached my presentation, but their exploration really seemed to take on a life of its own in ways that seemed intriguing to me. Several times in the discussions after a set of papers, a particular comment was counterbalanced by another one describing an alternative perspective in John.

          One more highlight for me was hearing Rowan Williams develop the ways that Anglican Johannine scholars (Westcott, Temple, Hoskyns, and Robinson) approached John in connection with Browning's poem, "A Death in the Desert." That was the last paper, and it brought the conference to a fitting close.

          I believe Richard Bauckham will be gathering the papers for publication, so they will eventually be available.

          Question: are there other reports of Johannine seminars over the summer? SNTS, CBA, SBL international? It might be good to keep each other informed as to the sorts of things Johannine scholars are working on.

          All the best!

          Paul Anderson

[...]

          JohnÕs Gospel" a revision of an article that some of

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2003
            On 14 Aug 2003 at 21:43, Paul Anderson wrote:

            > Question: are there other reports of Johannine seminars over the
            > summer? SNTS, CBA, SBL international? It might be good to keep each
            > other informed as to the sorts of things Johannine scholars are
            > working on.

            There's also a Johannine Seminar at the British New Testament
            Conference, 4-6 September at the University of Birmingham. For
            details of the conference, see:

            http://www.ntgateway.com/bnts/

            For the Johannine Seminar, see:

            http://www.ntgateway.com/bnts/Johannine.html

            I don't attend that seminar myself; any volunteers to feedback to
            the list?

            Mark
            -----------------------------
            Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
            University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
            Birmingham B15 2TT UK

            http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
            http://NTGateway.com
          • Pete Phillips
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2003
              I attend the Johannine Seminar. It is a good group with some excellent
              senior UK Johannine scholars on it (Andrew Lincoln, Ruth Edwards, Martin
              Scott, Catrin Williams, Wendy Sproston-North among others) as well as some
              emerging scholars. We have also brought in other scholars who have written
              on Johannine themes - e.g. P.M Casey on his book on truth claims in John.

              Pete Phillips
              New Testament Tutor,
              Cliff College
              Sheffield,