RE: [John_Lit] John and Theology reflections?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2003
      Thanks, Jeffrey (Gibson) for the clarification, and apologies again, this time to Jeffery (Hodges), for the misspelling.

      PA

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
        Excellent conference. I enjoyed the way you presented your paper Paul - got
        off to a good start. Will write a bit more about it when I've more time.
        Enjoyed your paper too Jeffrey.

        I agree RB and AT organized a fine event. But I think conferences should be
        professionally organized. I've left the academic world now and work in
        financial services - and the presentations are much better, using many
        different techniques (old and new) to get the message across. Apart from
        lights and mics, Paul's was the only attempt to use equipment that's been
        invented in the last 100 years. (Oh I forgot, someone used an OHP.)

        KenDurkin

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
          Paul Anderson wrote:

          <Jeffrey [i.e., Jeffery], would you care to share with
          the listserve any reflections on the Gospel of St.
          John and Christian Theology Conference at St. Andrews?
          There were about 150 attenders present and it seems to
          me that there were some excellent interdisciplinary
          discussions by some really fine scholars. Richard
          Bauckham and Alan Torrance are to be commended for
          organizing such a fine event!>

          Sorry not to get a reply to this sooner. I spent a
          week showing my brother and his wife around this part
          of Korea (the Seoul area) and have fallen behind in
          everything.

          Thanks to Jeffrey Gibson for reminding one and all
          that our names are orthographically distinct.

          Now, to the topic. I hadn't been to a conference
          outside Korea since 1999, so I was dead-set on making
          the most of it. I had the chance to meet up with
          Martin Hengel and Judith Lieu, whom I originally got
          to know back in 1989 in Tuebingen.

          I presented -- as a short paper -- a revised version
          of an earlier conference paper, which was announced
          online as "Earthly Versus Heavenly Nourishment in the
          Gospel of John." At least, I think that was me. The
          actual title of the paper that I gave was "Gift-Giving
          Across the Sacred-Profane Divide: A Maussian Analysis
          of Heavenly Versus Earthly Food in Gnosticism and
          John�s Gospel" a revision of an article that some of
          you have previously read on Felix Just's website
          (http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/John/SBL1999-HodgesA.html).
          Also, my name was given online as "Horrace Jeffrey
          Hodges" -- and still reads as such on the website.
          Some things never change.

          Enough biography already.

          The conference was good, primarily due to its breadth
          and the quality of many of the scholars -- though I
          wish that there had been more time for discussion.

          The major dialogue sessions were:

          1) CHRISTOLOGY: Murray Rae (King's College, London)
          and Paul Anderson (George Fox University)

          2) ANTI-JUDAISM: Judith Lieu (King's College, London)
          and Stephen Motyer (London Bible College)

          3) HISTORY AND FAITH: Stephen Evans (Baylor
          University) and Richard Bauckham (University of St
          Andrews)

          4 JOHANNINE DUALISM AND CONTEMPORARY PLURALISM:
          Miroslav Volf (Yale University) and Stephen Barton
          (University of Durham)

          My own paper was most closely connected to the
          dualism/pluralism talks, so I was especially
          interested in those and took an opportunity to speak
          with Volf about Johannine dualism early on the final
          morning as we were leaving together for the airport.
          He had de-emphasized dualism in John, but I suggested
          that the dualism is quite strong in John but is
          ethical rather than ontological. By that, I meant that
          the dualism of good and evil is not based on
          ontologically distinct substances -- though I grant
          that John probably does have an ontology of substances
          as well, i.e., spirit and non-spirit (for lack of a
          better term).

          What I liked about the conference was its
          interdisciplinary character. My own intellectual
          course has been interdisciplinary (and continues to
          be), so this fit my interests well. This left
          intellectual space for a questioning of assumptions
          that scholars in a single disciple might have ...
          well, ... simply assumed. The issue of what
          constitutes history (Evans and Bauckham) was
          especially significant in this respect.

          The anti-Judaism and Christology sessions were also
          quite good -- though I was feeling a lot of jet-lag
          and wasn't as alert for the Christology ones, which
          were on the first full day of the conference.

          I wish that I could give more details, but there's
          been a lot of blood under the bridge since the
          conference, and my mind is focused on other things
          these days. Perhaps you, Paul, could say more,
          especially about your talk.

          Sorry to close so abruptly -- I have to get some
          courses ready for the semester.

          447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
            Thanks, Jeffery.

            I feel that one of the most important things to come from the conference was the interdisciplinary engagement between biblical scholars and theologians. It really can be intimidating for a scholar to venture out of one's particular area of expertise, but that also is where some of the really important integration takes place, and each approach seasons the other. One of the sessions I felt was also valuable was an interdisciplinary investigation of John 11--seven papers in all, by Marianne Meye Thompson, Andrew Lincoln, Chris Seitz, Alan Torrance, Ronald Piper, Philip Esler, and Trevor Hart. It was an excellent session showing how different exegetical approaches had their own contributions to offer.

            A second thing I was impressed by is the degree to which the dialectical tensions in John came into discussion on almost every topic. Considering the character and origin of those tensions was the way I approached my presentation, but their exploration really seemed to take on a life of its own in ways that seemed intriguing to me. Several times in the discussions after a set of papers, a particular comment was counterbalanced by another one describing an alternative perspective in John.

            One more highlight for me was hearing Rowan Williams develop the ways that Anglican Johannine scholars (Westcott, Temple, Hoskyns, and Robinson) approached John in connection with Browning's poem, "A Death in the Desert." That was the last paper, and it brought the conference to a fitting close.

            I believe Richard Bauckham will be gathering the papers for publication, so they will eventually be available.

            Question: are there other reports of Johannine seminars over the summer? SNTS, CBA, SBL international? It might be good to keep each other informed as to the sorts of things Johannine scholars are working on.

            All the best!

            Paul Anderson

[...]

            JohnÕs Gospel" a revision of an article that some of

          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 15, 2003
              On 14 Aug 2003 at 21:43, Paul Anderson wrote:

              > Question: are there other reports of Johannine seminars over the
              > summer? SNTS, CBA, SBL international? It might be good to keep each
              > other informed as to the sorts of things Johannine scholars are
              > working on.

              There's also a Johannine Seminar at the British New Testament
              Conference, 4-6 September at the University of Birmingham. For
              details of the conference, see:

              http://www.ntgateway.com/bnts/

              For the Johannine Seminar, see:

              http://www.ntgateway.com/bnts/Johannine.html

              I don't attend that seminar myself; any volunteers to feedback to
              the list?

              Mark
              -----------------------------
              Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
              University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
              Birmingham B15 2TT UK

              http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
              http://NTGateway.com
            • Pete Phillips
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 24, 2003
                I attend the Johannine Seminar. It is a good group with some excellent
                senior UK Johannine scholars on it (Andrew Lincoln, Ruth Edwards, Martin
                Scott, Catrin Williams, Wendy Sproston-North among others) as well as some
                emerging scholars. We have also brought in other scholars who have written
                on Johannine themes - e.g. P.M Casey on his book on truth claims in John.

                Pete Phillips
                New Testament Tutor,
                Cliff College
                Sheffield,