Re: [John_Lit] help

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2003
      StevenGunderson@... wrote:

      > I am doing a PhD thesis on Nicodemus and the Samaritan Women and I am trying
      > to find a science fiction story about aliens who come to earth, but do not
      > want to be seen. The reason why is because they look like devils. My thesis is
      > called 'A Tale of the Unexpected' and I want to use the devils story as an
      > illustration. Can anyone help?

      It's Arthur C. Clarke's _Childhood's End_.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2003
        Peter Phillips wrote:

        > Hi Steven,
        >
        > How do the aliens know they look like devils? Have they been tapping into
        > MUTV or been reading too much Frank Peretti? How about War of the Worlds
        > where all the Martians hide in the machines, if I remember correctly?

        They had come to earth in the middle of the dark ages and when they showed
        themselves openly, they caused fear and panic since their appearance conformed
        to the medieval portrait of what devils were thought to look like.

        Now we're really getting off topic.

        Jeffrey
        --

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626

        jgibson000@...
      • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2003
          Jeffrey:

          _Childhood's End_ is a good example (the one I immediately thought of) of
          aliens who do not wish to be seen, yet Heinlein's aliens want to be known, and
          they do indeed want to be seen, eventually, and they are eventually seen. The
          scene is memorable for the single fainting woman.

          Does this still fulfill the original criteria :-)?

          Joe C.