Re: [John_Lit] help

  • Peter Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2003
      Hi Steven,

      How do the aliens know they look like devils? Have they been tapping into
      MUTV or been reading too much Frank Peretti? How about War of the Worlds
      where all the Martians hide in the machines, if I remember correctly?

      Pete Phillips,
      Cliff College, Sheffield, UK

      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2003
        StevenGunderson@... wrote:

        > I am doing a PhD thesis on Nicodemus and the Samaritan Women and I am trying
        > to find a science fiction story about aliens who come to earth, but do not
        > want to be seen. The reason why is because they look like devils. My thesis is
        > called 'A Tale of the Unexpected' and I want to use the devils story as an
        > illustration. Can anyone help?

        It's Arthur C. Clarke's _Childhood's End_.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626

        jgibson000@...
      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2003
          Peter Phillips wrote:

          > Hi Steven,
          >
          > How do the aliens know they look like devils? Have they been tapping into
          > MUTV or been reading too much Frank Peretti? How about War of the Worlds
          > where all the Martians hide in the machines, if I remember correctly?

          They had come to earth in the middle of the dark ages and when they showed
          themselves openly, they caused fear and panic since their appearance conformed
          to the medieval portrait of what devils were thought to look like.

          Now we're really getting off topic.

          Jeffrey
          --

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
          Chicago, IL 60626

          jgibson000@...
        • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2003
            Jeffrey:

            _Childhood's End_ is a good example (the one I immediately thought of) of
            aliens who do not wish to be seen, yet Heinlein's aliens want to be known, and
            they do indeed want to be seen, eventually, and they are eventually seen. The
            scene is memorable for the single fainting woman.

            Does this still fulfill the original criteria :-)?

            Joe C.