Conference: "The Gospel of John and Christian Theology"

  • Steve Black
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29 4:50 PM
      Here is a link to what looks like an exciting conference in Scotland!

      The conference is entitled "The Gospel of John and Christian Theology".
      Speaker include Martin Hengel, J├╝rgen Moltmann, Rowan Williams,
      Richard Bauckham, Miroslav Volf, as well as others. The link to get
      more information is...
      http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic/divinity/john2003.html
      --
      Steve Black
      Vancouver School of Theology

      The lion and the calf shall lie down together
      but the calf won't get much sleep.
      -Woody Allen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2003
        Jeffrey Siker has an interesting article in the May
        issue of the RSN:

        http://www.sbl-site.org/Newsletter/05_2003/Siker.html

        I was fascinated by the increasingly thin line between
        religion and politics in an administration that holds
        Bible studies in the White House.

        Relevant to our Johannine Listserve is the following:

        <[I]n his September 11, 2002 speech commemorating the
        anniversary of the terrible events of what has simply
        come to be called 9/11, President Bush made what must
        be considered his most disturbing use of biblical
        imagery to date. Borrowing imagery from the prologue
        of John 1 the President concluded his speech with the
        following words: "This ideal of America is the hope of
        all mankind... That hope still lights our way. And the
        light shines in the darkness. And the darkness will
        not overcome it." In this paraphrase from John 1:4-5
        President Bush replaces the incarnate Word of God
        (Jesus) with America as the light of the world. In one
        simple step Bush moves from nationalism to idolatry,
        envisioning America as the Word made flesh, America as
        the one sent by God into the world. That such language
        suggesting the divinization of America can come from
        the lips of a sitting President, and one who claims
        the Lordship of Jesus at that, is nothing short of
        astonishing.>

        Living outside of the States, I miss out on all this
        good stuff.

        But is Siker correct about Bush's idolatry? What Bush
        said was:

        "This ideal of America is the hope of all mankind...
        That hope still lights our way. And the light shines
        in the darkness. And the darkness will not overcome
        it."

        From this, Siker concludes:

        <In this paraphrase from John 1:4-5 President Bush
        replaces the incarnate Word of God (Jesus) with
        America as the light of the world. In one simple step
        Bush moves from nationalism to idolatry, envisioning
        America as the Word made flesh, America as the one
        sent by God into the world.>

        Has Bush committed idolatry? He actually says that
        "This ideal of America" rather than "America" in his
        paraphrase. Does anyone know the context of Bush's
        words? What is the "ideal" that he refers to in his
        speech? Is it just a another way of saying "America"?
        Or does he mean an ideal that guides America?

        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

        http://search.yahoo.com