Re: [John_Lit] Question about John 4 and Gen24/29/Ex2

  • kymhsm
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 23, 2003
      Dear Spencer,

      Apologies to you also for the delay in commenting about your
      post. I think your connection of Paul's thinking is most
      appropriate. I have nothing to add to your comments about John
      but I did not wish to leave your post without comment. I think your
      questions / observations are exactly what the author(s) were
      about.

      <<<So, perhaps the potential betrothal relationship in John is
      indeed consummated, but on a spiritual level. Is it possible the
      author(s) of John used this metaphorical link to the old
      testament to speak of the spiritual union and fruit? ……The
      marriages that are no longer were attempts at something lasting
      which, for one reason or another, failed….. Jesus offers a better
      marriage, to a better husband in spirit. In this way salvation may
      have been intended to be the ultimate marriage, the ideal
      relationship that worldly relationships inevitably fail to meet. Or,
      at least, perhaps that is the author(s) intended sub-text. The
      theme that even our closest worldly relationships cannot
      supplant our relationship to God is repeated in John. Or, could
      they be suggesting that marriage itself is but a metaphor for our
      intended betrothal to God?>>>

      Sincerely,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide