[John_Lit] Re: SBL

  • Franz-Josef Meyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 1999
      Dear Prof. Just, I would be highly interested to get hold of these articles. As I am a German student (trying to get my doctorate in
      "John as a mystagogic Gospel"), I doubt if you could perhaps mail manuscripts or abstracts of them to me?? I would be glad to get them,
      thanks a lot, Annegret Meyer.

      > Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles
      > Blindness, Sin, and Impurity in the Fourth Gospel
      >
      > Elizabeth Danna, Burlington, Ontaria
      > Characterization of the Greeks in John 12

      > Felix Just, S.J. -- Dept. of Theological Studies
      > Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      > Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
      > Website -- http://clawww.lmu.edu/~fjust
      >
      > Contact list managers: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@egroups.com

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/johannine_literature
    • wcmills
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 1999
        When will these papers be published???

        Rev. William Mills

        "Felix Just, S.J." wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Let me provide a quick summary list first [further personal comments later].
        > There were four sessions of direct interest to Johannine Literature:
        >
        > S116 - Literary Aspects of the Gospels and Acts Group/Johannine Literature Section
        > (scheduled for Sunday 11/21 at 1:00 PM, but moved to Saturday 11/20 at 1:00 PM)
        >
        > Gail R. O'Day, Candler School of Theology, Emory University
        > "I Have Said These Things to You . . .":The Unsettled Place of Jesus' Discourse in Literary
        > Approaches to the Fourth Gospel
        >
        > Response: R. Alan Culpepper, McAfee School of Theology, Mercer University
        >
        > Jeffrey Staley, Pacific Lutheran University
        > Liar, Liar: Jesus, "This Woman," and the Law in John 7-8
        >
        > Response: John Painter, Charles Sturt University
        >
        > S57 - Social Scientific Criticism of the New Testament Section (Sunday 11/21 at 9:00 AM)
        > Review of B. J. Malina and R. J. Rohrbaugh, Social Science Commentary on the Gospel of John. Fortress, 1998.
        >
        > Panel Discussion with
        > Jeffrey Staley, Pacific Lutheran University, Panelist
        > R. Alan Culpepper, McAfee School of Theology, Mercer University, Panelist
        > Adeline Fehribach, Spalding University, Panelist
        > Wes Howard-Brook, Seattle University, Panelist [did not attend]
        > Bruce J. Malina, Creighton University, Responding
        > Richard L. Rohrbaugh, Lewis & Clark College, Responding
        >
        > S113 - Johannine Literature Section (Sunday 11/21 at 3:45 PM) - Paul N. Anderson, presiding
        > five individual papers, 25 minutes each with 5 minutes for Q&A:
        >
        > Jennifer Berenson Maclean, Roanoke College
        > A Tale of Two Weddings: The Divine Trickster in John
        >
        > Horace Jeffery Hodges, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
        > Heavenly versus Earthly Food in Gnosticism, John's Gospel and Early Judaism
        >
        > Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles
        > Blindness, Sin, and Impurity in the Fourth Gospel
        >
        > Elizabeth Danna, Burlington, Ontaria
        > Characterization of the Greeks in John 12
        >
        > Musa W. Dube Shomanah, University of Botswana
        > Between Collaboration and Resistance: A Postcolonial Reading of John 18:28-19:21
        >
        > S206 - Johannine Literature Section (Tuesday 11/23at 9:00 AM) - David K. Rensberger, presiding
        > five individual papers, 25 minutes each with 5 minutes for Q&A:
        >
        > Philip W. Comfort, Tyndale Publishing House, Trinity Seminary
        > Distinguishing the Divine Spirit from the Human Spirit in the Gospel of John
        >
        > Bianca Lataire, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
        > The Quotation from Psalm 82:6a in John 10:34-36: A Re-examination of its Function in John 10:31-38
        >
        > Reimund Bieringer, Catholic University of Leuven
        > The Paraclete and the Community of the Disciples
        >
        > Michael Willett Newheart, Howard University
        > Bye-word: A "Soul Reading" of Jesus' Farewell Discourse (John 13-17)
        >
        > Po-Ling Sun, Hong Kong
        > Taming the Spirit: Development of Spirit in the Johannine Literature

        > Felix Just, S.J. -- Dept. of Theological Studies
        > Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
        > Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933

      • Felix Just, S.J.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 1999
          wcmills wrote:

          > When will these papers be published???

          Please be patient folks! So far I've only gotten a few of the SBL papers submitted electronically, and since it is up to the individual
          scholar's decision, certainly not all of them will ever be published in the "Johannine Literature" discussion group's "Vault".

          Moreover, we're in the middle of final exams here at LMU, but I'll get to these as soon as I can.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 1999
            About the 'publications'...I didn't know anything
            about this, but I only recently joined this group. By
            'published', I presume is meant solely for this group,
            i.e., not in a book?

            I presented two papers dealing with John, one for the
            Johannine Literature session, one for the Comparative
            Literature session (a panel that I organized). The
            former was actually entitled "Ethical Dualism of Food
            in The Gospel of John"; the latter "Gift-Giving Across
            the Sacred-Profane Divide: A Quasi-Maussian Analysis
            of Heavenly Versus Earthly Food in Gnosticism and
            John's Gospel". The original title for both was
            "Heavenly Versus Earthly Food in Gnosticism, John's
            Gospel, and Judaism". That was a throwaway title used
            due to time pressure when I was hurrying to get my
            paper proposals in to the AAR/SBL organizers.

            For anyone's interest, I also presented a paper in the
            Manichaean session, on Manichaean cosmology. The
            Manichaean group needs more people, by the way. Anyone
            interested?

            So, to return to the original point--what is this
            about publishing?

            Jeff Hodges