[John_Lit] Re: Reading!

  • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 1999
      Dear Everyone, I am impressed with the reflections on texts for courses on
      John. It certainly shows the value of the internet in a nutshell. I am glad
      that F. Moloney's commentary is getting the attention it deserves. I am
      teaching a graduate course on John and have an interesting experiment
      ongoing. My 21 students are each comparing one ancient and one modern
      commentary on John. My personal prejudice is that we have lost something
      valuable in our modern commentaries and am awaiting with interest the
      results. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp. PS I find Raymond Brown'
      overview in his recent introduction almost the equivalent of an
      introductory volume!

      At 03:01 AM 12/3/99 EST, you wrote:
      >Dear Everyone,
      >
      >Just a note to thank those who have spoken highly of my commentary for use
      in
      >the classrrom. One of the several reasons it was written was for that.
      >
      >As well as my commentary, I always insists upon Ray Brown's "The Community
      of
      >the Beloved Disciple" in its entirety ... just to make sure students are
      >aware of that side of Johannine study. I also inist that all students - for
      >some part of their assessment - generally for an exegetical essay, read
      >Bultmann. His work must not be allowed to slip off the desk!
      >
      >Again, thanks for the appreciations of my work.
      >
      >Frank Moloney

      >Francis J. Moloney, SDB, AM
      >Professor of New Testament
      >The Catholic University of America
      >Washington, DC 20064, USA

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/johannine_literature

    • wcmills
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 1999
        Which "ancient" commentaries are they reading, could you possibly cite some bibliographies? Thanks.

        Rev. William Mills