Re: [John_Lit] Re: Question about John 4 and Gen24/29/Ex2

  • Mary Coloe
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
      An addition to the discussion is the awareness that the FG already sets up
      Jesus as the bridegroom in John 2 and 3. In the Cana scene it is Jesus,
      not the bridegroom as would be the custom, who produces the good wine, so
      as the wine provider at a wedding he is presented as the bridegroom, and
      then at the end of chapter 3 the Baptist speaks of Jesus as the bridegroom.
      So that by the time we enter in John 4 our reading should have prepared us
      for this 'man meets woman at well' scene. Ezekiel 37 and the parable of
      the two sticks, i think is also pertinent. When Judah and Samaria are
      joined again in covenant (marriage) then I will put my sanctuary among
      them, my dwelling shall be with them (v. 26). So I read this scene, with
      all its marriage/covenant symbolism as the wooing back of Samaria so God
      can dwell in their midst - hence all the discussion about where is the
      proper sanctuary - this mountain or Jerusalem.

      Dr. Mary Coloe pbvm
      Australian Catholic University Limited
      (ABN 15050 192660)

      Locked Bag 4115
      Fitzroy. VIC 3065 AUSTRALIA

      ph (61 + 3) 99533137 Fax (61 + 3) 99533245
      M.Coloe@...
    • kymhsm
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
        Dear Elizabeth,

        Having spoken of Lyle Eslinger's comparison of John 4 with the
        OT well scenes, you wrote:

        <<<I must admit that I find this reading amusing - but how
        convincing is it? In focusing on the overtones of the language
        and on the betrothal aspects of the Old Testament type-scenes,
        Eslinger has picked up on an aspect of this narrative which is
        there - he has not imagined it. The Old Testament type-scene
        references and the overtones of the language are indeed there
        to be picked up on. But in stressing the betrothal aspects of the
        narrative as he does, Eslinger minimises another aspect of the
        narrative which is more important - its salvation-history aspect.
        To return to the Old Testament narratives which Eslinger calls
        type-scenes for the Johannine narrative: it is true that in these
        narratives the meeting at a well leads to marriage. But more
        important is the fact that the relationships which begin in this
        manner are steps in the formation of the people of God. So also
        this New Testament wellside meeting represents a step in the
        redefinition of the people of God.>>>

        With no expectation that you would agree with the whole scheme
        that I propose and ignoring any reference to `my
        you-probably-know-what', I suspect that the connection I have
        drawn across the chiastic structure of 4:16-27 (#3248) brings
        together the betrothal theme of the encounter at the well and the
        `salvation-history aspect' which you found lacking in Eslinger's
        article. Jesus, as the True Husband, draws out the True Bride –
        those who worship neither here nor there but in Spirit and in truth
        – of which the Samaritan woman became a part. The Husband
        and Bride theme shows `the formation of the people of God' in
        the most intimate way possible.

        It also adds to the climax Mary Coloe has indicated was building
        up to the well scene.

        If I might throw in an extra thought: if I am right in my acceptance
        of a. the priority of the Revelation over the gospel and b. the
        common authorship of the two, then I believe the reason for the
        strong marriage theme in the gospel was the indelible effect on
        John of the vision of the glorified Bride in the zenith of the
        Apocalypse.

        Sincerely,

        Kym Smith
        Adelaide