Re: [John_Lit] Beloved Disciple again ...

  • Sandra HAMBLETT
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
      Hi Thomas,

      Thanks for replying to the email i posted.

      Yes, i have seen your book advertised, i was thinking of buying a copy
      actually.

      The cut and pasted email came from a Magdalene discussion group -- i am
      interested in the idea that part of Jesus' Teachings have survived via Mary
      Magdalene. I was not aware of the assertions in the Talmud of a family
      relationship of MM to figures such as Nicodemus.
      The Magdalene forum posits that MM may have been the Beloved Disciple.
      Your comments re; sacrifice, MB and the possibility that she attended the
      trial of Jesus made me recall something i read in the Susan Haskins book on
      MM - referring to - i presume - 'folk beliefs' that MM was at the trial of
      Jesus. An interesting cross over here.

      I have read lots of the written works by Raymond E. Brown. If the BD may
      turn out to be MM - i find it a wonderful idea that as per Brown, the
      Beloved Disciple/MM may be the origin of the early Johannine Community.... i
      dont know how members of this forum feel about that idea ... in an age when
      there appears to be opposition from male heirarchy within the Church
      (although of course this has been present throughout church history) against
      females - i find a kind of comfort in this idea.

      I would be glad to talk privatly about these ideas Thomas. Please do so.

      Many thanks,

      Sandy.