Re: [John_Lit] Two witnesses

  • kymhsm <khs@picknowl.com.au>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2003
      Dear James,

      If the Beloved Disciiple was an historical figure who was present
      at the events nominated - the Last Supper/Farewell Discourse,
      Jesus' crucifixion, the Galilean resurrection appearance - and if
      the Gospel of John was written earlier rather than later (all of
      which I hold), then it is quite possible - even probable - that the
      witnesses (at least two) who added their impimatur to the
      gospel (21:24) were fellow witnesses of the events described in
      the gospel. It is even possible that they were fellow apostles (as
      per the Muratorian Fragment).

      You wrote:
      <<<I wonder if this means we should give John priority in
      historical research about Jesus from now on! :)>>>

      The priority of John over Matthew and Luke is exactly what I have
      argued for. See my recent post #3094 and response to some
      questions about it at #3122.

      Sincerely,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide