Re: [John_Lit] Facts

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2003
      Paul Schmehl wrote:

      <I think historians have an obligation to look at the
      facts before them and not go beyond those facts. As
      tempting as it is to speculate, that is not the role
      of a historian, IMO. I certainly don't think there's
      anything wrong with speculation, per se, but when it
      leads to conclusions, then it has overstepped its
      bounds.>

      I don't think that much history would be written if
      historians limited themselves to facts alone. The
      historical record is too spotty. So, we have to go
      beyond the facts to construct a plausible story. This
      presupposes that we even know what the facts are --
      usually a disputed point among historians. But even if
      two historians happen to agree on the facts, they will
      often differ radically in their interpretations
      because the facts don't, in themselves, add up to a
      complete story. We historians have to supply the rest.

      Horace Jeffery Hodges (Ph.D., U.C. Berkeley)
      Assistant Professor
      447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/