[John_Lit] texts

  • Mary Coloe
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      The discussion on texts has been most helpful. For my undergraduates I
      recommend they get their hands on one of

      Brown, R. E. The Gospel and Epistles of John: A Concise Commentary.
      Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 1988.
      Lindars, B. John. New Testament Guides. Sheffiled: JSOT Press, 1990.
      Moloney, Francis J. Reading John: Introducing the Johannine gospel and
      letters. Melbourne: Collins Dove, 1995.

      These three are small, therefore cheap and easily read introductions to the
      Gospel. I make sure our bookshop has them for sale.
      As a text I use
      Moloney, Francis, J. John. Sacra Pagina 4. Collegeville: Michael Glazier
      Liturgical Press, 1998. (text)

      This is a substantial commentary and combines historical and narrative
      critical approaches. Frank writes as he teaches - making complex issues
      clear and understandable. Students with little background have managed well
      with this text.

      Mind you I am biased since Frank was my doctoral supervisor. If students
      are going to purchase one good text for a course I think this is one worth
      the outlay as it is a commentary on the whole text.

      Another book that is a real must for a library is
      Yee, Gale A. Jewish feasts and the Gospel of John. Wilmington, Del: M.
      Glazier, 1989.
      This too is out of print and I hope Gale will see that there is a reprint
      soon as it is the best and clearest introduction to the festivals for
      undergraduates.

      I notice that some find Talbert and Quast helpful. My own opinon is that
      these authors are better in other fields than John. I use Quast for the
      Corinthian Letters but find the approach to John less satisfactory.
      Similarly I think Talbert's Reading Luke is very good but Reading John
      lacks the same depth of analysis.

      Burge's book is great. There is depth in his discussion and again i like
      the clarity in his writing.

      Dr. Mary Coloe pbvm
      School of Theology
      Australian Catholic University
      PO. Box 213, Oakleigh. VIC 3166
      ph (61 + 3) 9563 3697 Fax. (61 + 3) 9563 3653.

      http://www.acu.edu.au/theology/coloe.htm

      *** Please note as of March 1 2000 my address will change to
      Australian Catholic University
      St Patrick's Campus
      Locked bag 4115
      Fitzroy Business Centre
      377 Gore Street
      Fitzroy Vic 3065

      Similarly my email address will change to M.Coloe@...

      I do not yet know my new phone numbers but the switchboard will be 9953 3000
    • Mary Coloe
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 1999
        Greg asked about Quast and why I had reservations about it.
        I find it does not go into sufficient depth of analysis of the text, the
        symbolism, the Jewish background. Even though it is for undergraduates I
        think something more than what this book offers is really necessary for
        students to appreciate the narrative skill of the evangelist and the way
        theology is presented through narrative. I don't like saying it stays on
        the surface because this is not entirely true but nor does it explore the
        deeper issues - perhaps a comparison with some of the others mentioned
        would explain this better.