[John_Lit] Re: Re:Textbooks for a course on Johannine Literature

  • Pat Rogers
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 1999
      My current favourite is Frank Moloney's John, in the Sacra Pagina series (1997), which manages to cover a wide range of sensible scholarly views in very accessible language.  My students find it very helpful.
      With  very best wishes,

      Patrick Rogers, Mount Argus, Harold's Cross, Dublin 6W
      (Tel. 01-4923165 or 086-803-2316)

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 1999
        I've taught a course on the Gospel of John about 10 times in as many years
        in 3 different seminaries. The only book that I've used every time is David
        K. Rensberger, Johannine Faith and Liberating Community. It works well in my
        current situation at Howard (as both David & I are white Johannine scholars
        working at historically black theological institutions), but it's worked
        well at white denominational schools that I've taught.

        The last couple of times I've taught the course I've used Howard-Brook,
        Becoming Children of God as the main commentary. I'm switching this spring
        to Moloney's in the Sacra Pagina series, partly because he's at Catholic U.
        here in DC, practically across the street from Howard Div. Nevertheless, it
        is an excellent literary-critical treatment of the gospel. I think that the
        Fuller students might like Howard-Brook's book because it's about the gospel
        & "radical discipleship."

        Good luck in the course.

        Peace to you,
        Michael Willett Newheart