[John_Lit] Re: Re:Textbooks for a course on Johannine Literature

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 1999
      Dear Gary,

      My favorite text for my sophomore-level class is Kysar's _John; The
      Maverick Gospel_ (revised edition), which apparently is out of print. I
      hope W/JKP will get that one out again soon! This semester, however, I
      switched to Alan Culpepper's _The Gospel and Letters of John_, and it is
      excellent! Clear and readable, but still dealing with the major issues.
      Alan was also kind enough to hold a 40-minute conference-call interview
      with our students a couple of weeks ago, and the students are still
      buzzing about it. I also use Quast's _Reading the Gospel of John_
      alongside Alan's, and I use Raymond Brown's _The Community of the Beloved
      Disciple_ to give students a feel for ways of considering the Johannine
      situation. In the past I have used Burge's book, and I like it too.

      By the way, I wrote recently to J. Louis Martyn, and he has copies of his
      _History and Theology in the Fourth Gospel available from him at $18/copy
      (plus postage, a minimum order of 6). I may be interested in using that
      text instead of Brown's some time. For an upper division seminar next
      semester, I'll be using Ashton's _Understanding the Fourth Gospel_
      alongside my text, _The Christology of the Fourth Gospel_. On the latter,
      I start the students out inductively with exploring Appendices 1-6 (John's
      high and low christological themes and tensions, etc.) and we move from
      there to ways scholars have tried to address them -- including literary,
      theological, and historical approaches to John.

      Best of everything in your quest (by the way, Painter's book is a good one
      too!), Gary; let us know how things go.

      PA

      Paul N. Anderson
      Associate Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132
      503-554-2651
    • Pat Rogers
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 1999
        My current favourite is Frank Moloney's John, in the Sacra Pagina series (1997), which manages to cover a wide range of sensible scholarly views in very accessible language.  My students find it very helpful.
        With  very best wishes,

        Patrick Rogers, Mount Argus, Harold's Cross, Dublin 6W
        (Tel. 01-4923165 or 086-803-2316)

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 1999
          I've taught a course on the Gospel of John about 10 times in as many years
          in 3 different seminaries. The only book that I've used every time is David
          K. Rensberger, Johannine Faith and Liberating Community. It works well in my
          current situation at Howard (as both David & I are white Johannine scholars
          working at historically black theological institutions), but it's worked
          well at white denominational schools that I've taught.

          The last couple of times I've taught the course I've used Howard-Brook,
          Becoming Children of God as the main commentary. I'm switching this spring
          to Moloney's in the Sacra Pagina series, partly because he's at Catholic U.
          here in DC, practically across the street from Howard Div. Nevertheless, it
          is an excellent literary-critical treatment of the gospel. I think that the
          Fuller students might like Howard-Brook's book because it's about the gospel
          & "radical discipleship."

          Good luck in the course.

          Peace to you,
          Michael Willett Newheart