[John_Lit] "Lamb of God"

  • Stanislao
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 1999
      Hi there.
      I have never posted on this newsgroup mostly becuase I am not a
      "Scholar," though I am wroking hard to get there.
      I am preparing a series of lectures on John, and I got stuck on the
      proclamation of JB "That is the Lamb of God."
      From a merely literary point of view, the story - in my opinion - does
      not flow. If by "Lamb of God," JB was referring to the "messianic"
      figure, why the disciples didn't worship Jesus. I found in
      "SOcial-science commentary on the GOpsel of JOhn" (Malina- Rohrbaugh)
      that "Lamb" was also seen as "leader" beacuse the Lamb was the first
      zodiac-like sign. The book, however, doesn't cite any source. Does
      anyone have any insight (with references, possibly) about the use of
      "Lamb of God" in Jn1 and why the disciples followed Jesus rather than
      worship him?
      Thanks!
      Stanislao