Re: [John_Lit] John the Baptist in the prologue

  • Big_Mart_98 <big_mart_98@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Phillips"
      > I'm sorry but I think I have missed a connecton somewhere. Could
      someone
      > explain how Word becoming flesh can be the equivalent of Spirit
      descending
      > upon and remaining on him? Are we suggesting that verse 14 is not
      about
      > 'Christmas' but rather the end of 'Lent'? Where does the
      incarnation
      > happen? Isn't this just adoptionism then - the Word comes into
      Jesus at the
      > point of indwelling of the Spirit?
      >
      > I need some help here, I think.

      People in the period in question were not too bothered about logical
      inconsistencies. Where the NT writers were concerned, they did not
      expect anyone to be here in 2,000 years, and they had no way of
      anticipating the rigorous thinking of at least some of them.
      Martin Edwards.
    • Paul Schmehl
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
        > People in the period in question were not too bothered about logical
        > inconsistencies. Where the NT writers were concerned, they did not
        > expect anyone to be here in 2,000 years, and they had no way of
        > anticipating the rigorous thinking of at least some of them.

        Do you have any evidence to support this view? I mean real evidence?
        Documents? Letters? Texts?

        IMHO people haven't changed one iota from "the beginning" until now. As
        Ecclesiastes says, "There is nothing new under the sun. All is vanity."

        Paul Schmehl
        pschmehl@...
        http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/