Re: [John_Lit] A Proposed Re-construction of a Postulated Hymn-li ke Composition

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2003
      Dear Kym and Mary,
      As both of you know, it seems to me that there is yet another
      reason for the close attention being given in first five verses in the
      Prolog of the Fourth Gospel to the first five verses of Genesis (and
      thus to the Torah). That is that the Fourth Gospel, particularly
      chapters 1-13, makes extensive use of Mosaic oracles as signs.
      I have shown how one can define the meaning of these signs by
      locating identical symbols or symbolic language (via the Septuagint
      version) in the Torah.
      The opening of the Prolog "In the beginning..." is an unmistakable
      reference to the opening three words of the Torah. I see this as a
      sign in itself, pointing the reader to the Torah. If the Fourth Gospel
      was used as a text book within the Johannine community, it would
      take very little guidance from a teacher within that community to
      start those reading that text on a learning process that would
      link this gospel with the ancient Law.
      Your work, Kym, reveals this dynamic from a structural point of
      view. I have provided a concordance of Mosaic signs found in the
      Fourth Gospel, which takes a word-study approach. Mary, you
      seem to focus upon the role of the narrative as it relates to the
      temple language / metaphors / symbols of the Torah. While I
      appreciate that your study is focused specifically upon the temple,
      it seems to me that some of what you observe about the narrative
      connection between the Fourth Gospel and the temple-related
      texts of the Torah could be applied to other elements of the
      Mosaic narrative as well, such as the festivals of sacrifice and
      the priesthood.
      At the Johannine Studies section of the SBL annual meeting, it
      was suggested that scholars of the Fourth Gospel need a new
      framework from which to study it. I believe the so-called Reader-
      Response Criticism as presented by R. Allen Culpepper in Anatomy
      of the Fourth Gospel: A Study in Literary Design is such a framework.
      The observations that you and I have made, Kym and Mary, seem
      to me to fit within that sort of framework.