[John_Lit] Re: On-Line Johannine Essays, "Encyclopaedia"

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 1999
      Patrick Rogers wrote:

      > Dear Felix,> Many thanks for making the Johannine Bibliography
      available, online. Very useful.> However, as a step beyond this I'm also
      delighted to see Mary Coloe's question to you,
      > about making articles (on the 4th Gospel, or other biblical topics)
      available on the web.
      > The fullest use of a topic-driven Web-site, for me at least, would be
      when -- like that
      > model of accessible medical information, MED-LINE -- it offers a
      practical encyclopaedia
      > on this topic. I look forward to the day when the John site, for
      example, will offer an alphabetized
      > and cross-indexed set of articles volunteered by scholars... when, if
      one wants to know the views
      > of others upon any feature in this Gospel, (say Humour, or Structure,
      or Jews, or Witness,
      > Disciples, Faith, Blindness, Abiding, or whatever), one would have
      such essays available on-line.

      Felix responds:

      I also look forward to that day. In fact, my Johannine Bibliography
      already contains an "Electronic Bibliography" page
      (http://clawww.lmu.edu/~fjust/John/Bibliog-Electronic.html) that
      contains links to all the on-line articles I could find (only 2 or 3
      dozen so far). I would be happy to link any other articles that anyone
      knows are already on the web, or that individual scholars want to put
      on-line. But I suspect "Medline" has a fairly large staff, whereas I'm
      working alone (with one student assistant) so far.

      Patrick Rogers also wrote:
      > Of course, building this site would be a huge task, both in assembling
      sufficient
      > copyright-free material, and organising it; and among its effects may
      render it
      > virtually impossible to guard against large-scale plagiaristic
      citation in students'
      > term-essays. (Or are we teachers so skilled in source-criticism as to
      be able to sift
      > out the implicit, unacknowledged quotations in others' work?) But
      its benefits
      > to serious students of John would be enormous.

      Felix responds:

      Again, I agree. If anyone would like to help with developing the
      Johannine website project, please let me know. When I earlier applied
      for an SBL technology grant to help support this project (to fund some
      student assistants to help with indexing and web-technology aspects), I
      was turned down the first time, partly because some of the referees
      thought it would merely be a collection of links. But I was also
      encouraged to apply again later, since other referees found great
      potential in the proposal. Our chances of getting an SBL grant (and the
      accompanying recognition) would probably increase if this were a broader
      and more collaborative project. Scholars could contribute individual
      articles or volunteer to be responsible for certain components of the
      expanding website (http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust/John.htm).

      If anyone might be interested in something like this, please contact me
      off list. In case you will be at the SBL meeting this weekend in
      Boston, please also introduce yourself to me. Best time to catch me
      might be after the Sunday afternoon "Johannine Literature Section" (S113
      - Sharton: Republic Ballroom B), where I among others will be presenting
      a paper.

      Felix Just, S.J. -- Dept. of Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
      Website -- http://clawww.lmu.edu/~fjust