[John_Lit] On-Line Johannine Essays, "Encyclopaedia"

  • Patrick Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 1999
      Dear Felix,

      Many thanks for making the Johannine Bibliography available, online. Very useful.

      However, as a step beyond this I'm also delighted to see Mary Coloe's question to you, about making articles  (on the 4th Gospel, or other biblical topics) available on the web. The fullest use of a topic-driven Web-site, for me at least, would be when -- like that model of accessible medical information, MED-LINE -- it offers a practical encyclopaedia on this topic. I look forward to the day when the John site, for example, will offer an alphabetized and cross-indexed set of articles volunteered by scholars... when, if one wants to know the views of others upon any feature in this Gospel, (say Humour, or Structure, or Jews, or Witness, Disciples, Faith, Blindness, Abiding, or whatever), one would have such essays available on-line.

      Of course, building this site would be a huge task, both in assembling sufficient copyright-free material, and organising it;  and among its effects may render it virtually impossible to guard against large-scale plagiaristic citation in students' term-essays.  (Or are we teachers so skilled in source-criticism as to be able to sift out the implicit, unacknowledged quotations in others' work?)     But its benefits to serious students of John would be enormous.

      I've already ventured to suggest this "Biblical Encyclopaedia online" idea to Dr.Mark Goodacre -- who has generously made a number of his own articles available on his site. The cyber-sharing of the future must surely bring us way beyond sharing of Bibliography, and make the whole "library contents" of exegesis and biblical theology just a web-site call away.

      PAT
      ____
      Patrick Rogers