Re: [John_Lit] A Proposed Re-construction of a Postulated Hymn-like Composition to the Word

  • Peter Phillips
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 23, 2003
      Frank,
      You tread on well worn territory here. There are so many versions of the
      possible hymn structure of the Prologue. But here are just two questions as
      a first toss of the coin, but I hope to have a fuller look at it
      tomorrow...:

      What Greek metre is this if it is a hymn?
      If there is no metre it is prose and so is not a hymn!

      When does anti in v.17 ever mean upon - anti = instead of or in place of.

      Pete Phillips
      Cliff College
      Sheffield, UK

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 23, 2003
        > It has long been recognized that much of John 1:1-18 is likely based on
        > hymn-like composition to the Word. This is the proposed re-construction
        of
        > it as given by R.A. Brown in The Gospel According to John (Vol. 1, pp.
        3-4):

        > First Strophe
        > 1 In the beginning was the Word;
        > the Word was in God's presence,
        > and the Word was God.
        > 2 He was present with God in the beginning.

        <snip for brevity>

        > How does the proposed re-construction of the postulated hymn-like
        > composition look to you? Do you recommend any changes to it? Also, do
        you
        > recommend any changes in the English translation of it?

        Frank, you may want to divide the antiphonal responses.

        Jack
      • Pete Phillips
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 23, 2003
          There is so much to say about this - see the countless versions in countless
          commentaries!

          How can it be a hymn when there is no metre? If there is a metre, what is
          it? If a metre has to be uncovered because the vocab has been changed then
          what is the proposed vocab for the original Urprolog?

          On the details, and for starters, why translate anti in verse 17 as 'upon'
          when it means 'instead of' or 'in place of'.

          Why put v.9 and 17 back but not v.13? Where is all the rationale behind
          this lot. Why start with Brown in any case? What's the reason for the
          whole exercise?

          The proposal could do with spelling out and explaining.

          Pete Phillips
          Cliff College,
          Sheffield UK
        • Ramsey Michaels
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
            The question of whether the so-called "Prolog" is poetry is an important
            one. When it is read as poetry, the sections that are patently prose, such
            as vv 6-8 and 15 are viewed as "interpolations" and sometimes virtually
            dismissed. But if it is prose, then they are not interpolations, and the
            whole thing reads differently.

            For example, verse 6 looks very much like the narrative beginning to the
            Gospel, a beginning not unlike the beginning of Mark. This goes against the
            conventional wisdom that verse 19 is the narrative beginning. If the
            narrative begins at verse 6 and not verse 19, then the real "prolog" (or
            preface, or introduction, call it what you will) consists of vv 1-5, not vv
            1-18.

            In short, perhaps the search for poetry or a hymnic source behind the text
            as we have it has skewed our reading of the existing text. Perhaps what
            conventional wisdom has regarded as "interpolations" are actually the key to
            understanding the whole.

            Ramsey Michaels

            > You tread on well worn territory here. There are so many versions of the
            > possible hymn structure of the Prologue. But here are just two questions
            as
            > a first toss of the coin, but I hope to have a fuller look at it
            > tomorrow...:
            >
            > What Greek metre is this if it is a hymn?
            > If there is no metre it is prose and so is not a hymn!
            >
            > When does anti in v.17 ever mean upon - anti = instead of or in place of.
            >
            > Pete Phillips
            > Cliff College
            > Sheffield, UK

            Hymn-like
> [...]
            > > And the World knew him not.
            > >
            > > To his own he came,
            > > And his own received him not.
            > >
            > > But as many as received him
            > > He gave to them authority to be children of God,
            > >
            > > Section C The Word becomes Flesh
            > >
            > > And the Logos became flesh
            > > And tabernacled among us.
            > > And we beheld his glory:
            > >
            > > A glory as of a one of a kind with a Father,
            > > Full of Grace and Truth.
            > >
            > > And of his Fullness
            > > We have all received,
            > > Grace upon grace:
            > >
            > > For the Law was given through Moses,
            > > And the Grace and the Truth came through Christ Jesus.
            > >
            > > How does the proposed re-construction of the postulated hymn-like
            > > composition look to you? Do you recommend any changes to it? Also, do
            > you
            > > recommend any changes in the English translation of it?

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • fmmccoy
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
              > > How does the proposed re-construction of the postulated hymn-like
              > > composition look to you? Do you recommend any changes to it? Also, do
              > you
              > > recommend any changes in the English translation of it?
              >
              > Frank, you may want to divide the antiphonal responses.

              Dear Jack Kilmon:.

              I agree that this postulated composition of three sections (with each
              section consisting of two three line strophes and two two line strophes)
              there are statements and responses. However, I think a classic situation,
              of alternating statements and resonses, is perhaps
              over-simplistic.

              What I have in mind is that it was something to be spoken during a service,
              with the first line of each strophe to be spoken by the leader. In the case
              of a three line strophe, what I envison is that the second line was to be
              spoken by men and the third line was to be spoken by women. In the case of
              a two line strophe, what I envision is that the second line was to be spoken
              by both the men and women. So, with L = leader, M = men, and W = women, we
              have:
              Sect.A Sect B Sect C Total
              Strophe 1
              line 1 L L L 3L
              line 2 M M M 3M
              line 3 W W W 3W

              Strophe 2
              line 1 L L L 3L
              line 2 M M M+W 3M+1W
              line 3 W W - 2W

              Strophe 3
              line l L L L 3L
              li ne 2 M+W M+W M 3M+2W
              line 3 - - W 1W

              Strophe 4
              line 1 L L L 3L
              line 2 M+W M+W M+W 3M+3W
              line 3 - - - -

              In the totals, notice that the first line is 3L for each strophe. However,
              in the second line, while M is 3 for each strophe, we have a progression in
              W from 0 in strophe 1 to 1 in strophe 2 to 2 in strophe 3 and to 3 in
              strophe 4. In the third line, L progressively decreases from 3 in strophe 1
              to 2 in strophe 2 to 1 in strophe 3 and 0 in strophe 4..

              Note, too, that, for the over-all totals, L = 12, M = 12, and W = 12. So
              each person, in the recitation of this proposed liturgical piece, speaks
              twelve lines.

              Regards,

              Frank McCoy
              1809 N. English Apt. 17
              Maplewood, MN USA 55109
            • fmmccoy
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
                  The thing is what is a chiasm - see the extensive literature on chiastic
                  structures both in Staley's Print's First Kiss, Charles Homer Giblin
                  article -in fact here is one of my footnotes on the subject to give you some
                  more references:

                  Ignace de la Potterie, 'Structure du Prologue de Saint Jean', NTS 30 (1984),
                  pp.354-387; Charles Homer Giblin, 'Two Complementary Literary Structures in
                  John 1:1-18', JBL 104/1 (1985), pp.87-103. See also, Herman Ridderbos, 'The
                  Structure and Scope of the Prologue of the Gospel of John', NT 8 (1966),
                  pp.180-201; Alan Culpepper, 'The Pivot of John's Prologue', NTS 27
                  (1980-81), pp.1-31; Paul Lamarche, 'The Prologue of John' in The
                  Interpretation of John, J. Ashton (ed.), pp.36ff.; Jeff Staley, 'The
                  Structure of John's Prologue: Its Implications for the Gospel's Narrative
                  Structure', CBQ 48, 1986, pp.241-264 but also see The Print's First Kiss,
                  pp.50ff. For Staley's diagrammatic attempt to impose a concentric structure
                  of the whole gospel, see pp.72-2. In fact, the possible permutations are
                  legion with most commentators offering their own perspective: Miller,
                  Salvation-History, pp.19ff; Schnackenburg, John, p.239; Brown, John, p.6;
                  Haenchen, John, p.110; Boismard, Prologue, p.28

                  But a chiasm in ancient literature is not nearly as complicated as lots of
                  these articles make a chiasm out to be. In an oral culture chiasm needs to
                  be pretty striking to be picked up. And of course the NT was written for a
                  primarily oral culture, wasn't it?

                  Pete Phillips
                  Cliff College,
                  Sheffield, UK

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
                    Excellent points, Ramsey; I've been wondering lately about the possibility of the poetic sections of the Prologue being expansions on the Baptist's testimony and memory.

                    Paul Anderson

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
                      I like this, Tom; I encourage you to get an article out on it. It also makes me want to go back to Bultmann's commentary and see what he was doing with John the Baptist and the origin of some of the Johannine Jesus sayings. We don't see them as Gnostic proper any more, but might there have been a baptistic memory that gets developed cosmologically within the Johannine worship situation? I might buy something like that, Tom.

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
                        > There is so much to say about this - see the countless versions in
                        countless
                        > commentaries!
                        >
                        > How can it be a hymn when there is no metre? If there is a metre, what is
                        > it? If a metre has to be uncovered because the vocab has been changed
                        then
                        > what is the proposed vocab for the original Urprolog?
                        >
                        > On the details, and for starters, why translate anti in verse 17 as 'upon'
                        > when it means 'instead of' or 'in place of'.
                        >
                        > Why put v.9 and 17 back but not v.13? Where is all the rationale behind
                        > this lot. Why start with Brown in any case? What's the reason for the
                        > whole exercise?
                        >
                        > The proposal could do with spelling out and explaining.

                        Dear Pete Phillips:

                        By "hymn-like" I do not mean that it has a metre or that it is meant to be
                        sung. It is, technically, prose. It is "hymn-like" in the sense that it
                        has a formal structure with strophes.

                        As respects your question of why to translate "anti" as "upon", Brown states
                        in The Gospel According to John (Vol. 1, p. 16), "'Grace upon grace' or
                        'grace after grace'; *accumulation*. Many modern commentators (Lagrange,
                        Hoskyns, Bultmann, Barrett) support this reading on the basis of a text in
                        Philo (De Posteritati Caini 145) where *anti* clearly has this meaning."

                        Now, you ask what is the rationale behind the proposed reconstruction of a
                        postulated hymn-like composition.

                        Well, let us look at the first section of this postulated composition:

                        En Arche en ho Logos,
                        Kai ho Logos en pros ton Theon,
                        Kai Theos en ho Logos.

                        Houtos en en Arche pros ton Theon,
                        Panta di autou egenato,
                        Kai chwris autou egeneto oude hen.

                        Ho gegonen en autw Zwe en,
                        Kai he Zwe en to Phws ton anthrowpwn.

                        Kai to Phws en te Skotia phainei,
                        Kai he Skotia auto ou katalaben.

                        Note these patterns:
                        (1) In each of the three lines of the first strophe, the Word is explicitly
                        mentioned by name.
                        (2) in each of the first two strophes, the initial line stresses that the
                        Word was in the Beginning.
                        (3) in the last two lines of the first strophe, the stress is on the
                        relationship between the Word and God while, in the last two lines of the
                        second strophe, the stress is on the relationship between the Word and
                        Creation.
                        (4) In the two two lines strophes, we have the sequence: line 7: zwe, line
                        8: zwe and phos, line 9: phos and skotia, and line 10: skotia.

                        These patterns, I suggest, are indications that 1:1-5 really is a four
                        strophe composition, with the first two strophes of three lines each and the
                        last two strophes of two lines each.

                        Also important is GTh 77. I do not know how to render Coptic in English
                        letters, but the inter-linear Coptic text is found in Michael Grondin's
                        web-site:

                        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/splith.htm

                        It appears to have the same 3/3/2/2 pattern that is postulated for John
                        1:1-5:

                        Stroiphe1 The First "I am" Declaration
                        I am the Light,
                        The One which is upon them,
                        All of them.

                        Strophe 2 The Second "I am" Declaration
                        I am the All,
                        Has the All come out of me,
                        And has the All split open to me.

                        Striophe 3 The First Where to Find Me Declaration
                        Split open a timber,
                        I am there.

                        Striophe 4 The Second Where to Find Me Declaration
                        Take up the stone,
                        And you will fall upon me there.

                        Note the Johannine character of GTh 77--with no less than two "I am"
                        sayings!

                        In any event, the existence of a passage from another gospel which appears
                        to be in the same 3/3/2/2 format as the postulated format for John 1:1-5
                        increases the likelihood, ISTM, that the postulated format for John 1:1-5 is
                        real.

                        Also, thematically, GTh 77 strongly links to John 1:9-10: for, in both,
                        Jesus is the Light, is the One through whom everything came into being, and
                        he is spoken of as being present in the Cosmos. Furthermore, 1:9 readily
                        breaks down into three lines and so does 1:10. Therefore, might it not be
                        that they are the 3/3 of yet another 3/3/2/2 format composition--with 11 and
                        12 being the 2/2?

                        This, then, is my rationale for taking the second section of the postulated
                        composition to be John 1:9-12:

                        Strophe 1: The Word Enters into the Cosmos
                        En to Phws to alethinon
                        Ho phwtizei panta anthrwpon
                        Erchoumenon eis ton kosmon,

                        Strophe 2 The Reaction of the Cosmos
                        En tou kosmw en,
                        Kai ho kosmos di qutou egeneto,
                        Kai ho kosmos autou ouk egnw,

                        Strophe 3 The Reaction of Some Human Beings
                        Eis to idia elthen
                        Kai oi idioi ou parelabon.

                        Strophe 4 The Reaction of Some Other Human Beings
                        Hosoi de elabon auton edwken
                        Autois ezousian tekna Theou genesthai.

                        By this point, it is becoming increasingly clear to me that Brown appears to
                        have pretty good judgment regarding where to find the postulated
                        composition: for he finds it in 1:1-5 and 1:10-12 and, so, only seems to
                        have missed three lines of it (i.e., the three lines in 1:9).

                        Further, I note, he thinks that it is also present in 1:14 and 1:16--which
                        leads me to think that they are a part of a third section. Indeed, by trial
                        and error, I found that, by adding 1:17, one finds a possible third section
                        which is not in the 3/3/2/2 format of the first two sections but a closely
                        related 3/2/3/2 format:

                        Kai ho Logos sarz egeneto
                        Kai eskenwsen en hemin,
                        Kai etheasametha ten dozan autou,

                        Dozan hws monogenous para Patros,
                        Pleres Charitos kai Aletheias.

                        Hoti ek to plerowmatos auto
                        hemeis pantes elabomen,
                        Kai charin anti charitos.

                        Hoti ho Nomos dia Mwusews edothe,
                        He Charis kai he Aletheia dia Hisou Christou egeneto.

                        Needless to say, I would say that this third section is the shakiest of the
                        three because of its altered 3/2/3/2 format. Yet, because it contains, like
                        the other two sections, two three line strophes and two two line strophes
                        and a total of ten lines, I currently lean towards thinking that it is real.
                        Still, at the same time, I am continuing research on 1:14-18 to see if it
                        might have a 3/3/2/2 format section embedded in it.

                        I hope this helps you understand my rationale. Thank you for the questions.

                        Regards,

                        Frank McCoy
                        1809 N. English Apt. 17
                        Maplewood, MN USA 55109.
                      • Ramsey Michaels
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
                          Tom:

                          I have been moving in the same direction as your proposal on John 1:15. My
                          interest in this text began in 1981 with my article in the Metzger
                          Festschrift, "Origen and the Text of John 1:15."

                          I believe the traditional saying in 1:15 is indeed the reason why the author
                          prefixed his Gospel with vv 1-5, to flesh out the assertion that Jesus
                          indeed preceded John. This will be reflected in the commentary for Eerdmans
                          I have been working on lo these many years. The unusual feature of my
                          approach is that I do not look at vv 1-18 as "Prolog," but rather at vv 1-5
                          as Preface or Introduction.

                          As for the rest of your hypothesis, about 1:15 as a riddle and about the
                          three verbs, I find that very interesting, but will have to think more about
                          it. I'm eager to see just how you will develop it.

                          Ramsey Michaels