[John_Lit] Publishing on the Web

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 1999
      Mary Coloe wrote:

      > Thanks Felix for the Bibliography - an excellent tool. If we have articles
      > already published in print form and would be happy to make them available
      > on the web, how do we go about it?

      There are several different ways this can be done. The methods which are more convenient and accessible for your readers require a little
      more work from the author, and vice-versa.

      1) The easiest but least convenient route: If the article is in some text format (MSWord, WordPerfect, RTF, plain TXT, etc.), you could
      simply put it on a server, and put a link to it on any webpage. But when people click on this link, they have to download the document
      onto their own computers and then open it with their own word-processor in order to read it.

      2) If you can convert the article to Adobe PDF format, then anyone with a free Adobe Acrobat Reader can read it directly on the web. The
      advantage is that your original pagination remains the same.

      3) The most convenient method for the reader is for you to convert the document into true HTML (or HTM or similar) format. The initial
      conversion is easy using MS Word 7.0 or almost any Web-editing program. Then you can reformat it to make it look nicer on the web,
      putting in background colors, internal links to your footnotes (so if people click the reference, they go straight to the note), or even
      inserting extra images, tables, hyperlinks or other things to spiff it up.

      If this sounds complicated, it really isn't. Just ask some of your students or colleagues. One of them is bound to know how to do this
      sort of thing by now. (I myself started only last October!)

      Also, if the article is already published in some journal, you should probably first check with the editor/publisher about copyright
      concerns. But they usually allow authors to put electronic copies of their own work on their own websites without problem.

      If you do put any of your Johannine-related articles on the web, please let me know so that I can add links to them on the Johannine
      Literature website.

      Felix Just, S.J. -- Dept. of Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
      Website -- http://clawww.lmu.edu/~fjust