RE: [John_Lit] Personal Names in NT texts. Was: James' ossuary

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2003
      --- Paul Anderson <panderso@...> wrote:
      > Thanks, John, I enjoyed the story. It works
      > partially, but then you have Malchus and Nathanael,
      > for instance; were their names mentioned because
      > they were familiar or because they were relatively
      > unknown?
      >
      > And, why, then, the lack of names for the mother of
      > Jesus and the beloved disciple?

      Dear Paul:

      The answer to the first question I already gave: they
      were famous to the Church at the time and citing them
      assured some degree of fame in perpetuity. The answer
      to the second question is identical. Everyone knew
      who the "Mother of Jesus" was and who the "beloved
      disciple" was. Tradition tells us these last two are
      Mary of Nazareth & John, son of Zebedee. I see no
      reason not to accept tradition handed down by Church
      hierarchy.

      Best regards,
      John

      =====