Best wine till last

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Dear All,
      I noticed a reference in Frank McCoy's reply in the "Full to
      the Brim" thread, a reference to the stewards remark during the Cana feast
      that the best wine had been left until last.
      I am aware this is a digression, but is it or is it not the case that
      wine-making was not sufficiently refined in the first century to avoid
      sediment at the bottom of the skin or other container? If so, was it the
      custom to open all the skins and pour out the wine at the top first,
      reserving the sediment filled lower reaches until everyone was too drunk to
      notice? This would make sense of passagres in revelation about God giving
      the nations the wine of his wrath and causing them to drink even the dregs -
      i.e. even the stuff people would normally leave. But the wine at Cana had no
      dregs in it.
      Do tell me if I am being too fanciful, but I thought it worth
      asking.

      Best Wishes

      JOHN E STATON
      www.jestaton.org