Re: [John_Lit] Christmas

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
      Don Garlington wrote:

      > Dear Horace,

      I prefer Jeffery.

      > You must be an American! When we arrived in England
      > in '82, one of our first cultural surprises was
      > Boxing Day. We too thought it must be the
      > celebration of pugnatious activities, or such like.
      > There are various explanations as to how the day got
      > its name. Most probably, it arose from the practice
      > of landlords delivering boxes of food and other
      > gifts to their tenants the day after Christmas. So,
      > Boxing Day is just the day after Christmas, which is
      > observed here in Canada too. It's nice to have an
      > additional day after Christmas as a kind of buffer
      > to face the world again.

      Actually, I had been waiting several years to make my
      punning joke. I, too, have experienced Boxing Day
      through several Christmastide visits to England to see
      friends.

      I've also heard similar explanations as to the
      holiday's origin.

      Best Regards,

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com